Chapter 23

Ava POV

I've been lying in bed for who knows how long, covering every inch of myself with the blanket. I knew exactly why I didn't feel safe, but I didn't want to believe the reason. My eyes peeked at the covered window for probably the hundredth time within the last hour.

I don't know why I didn't just tell Louis. I would've felt a thousand times better if I had. Because I know it's not just the fear keeping me awake; it's the guilt.

I peeked at the phone lying on my bedside table, just calling out to me. I've been trying to ignore it for the entire night, but it was calling me more than ever now. Part of my brain was begging for me to call Louis and ask him to come over, but the other half denied. It was, after all, being more logical than the other side. It's probably in the early morning, and Louis wouldn't be up at this time, so why bother calling him?

My arms ached to reach out from under the covers and call him, but my brain held it back.

I shouldn't.

I shouldn't.

I shouldn't.

...

Damn it.

My hand reached out and grabbed the phone, opening it in an instant.

I scrolled through my contacts, eyes scanning the numbers of familiar people, but stopping its search once it had found Louis.

I hesitated for a moment, my brain rethinking the decision, but only for a split second.

My thumb pressed down on the call button, and I brought it to my ear slowly.

It rang once. It rang twice. It was on its third ring when I started to doubt my choice. Should I just hang up? He probably won't answer anyway. I brought the phone back down and was about the press the red button, but then the call went through.

"Princess?" Louis' voice spoke. It was deeper and huskier than normal, sending shivers down my spine, but I tried brushing it off. "Why are you calling so late?"

I hesitated again, slightly from guilt.  "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up. I should probably just let you get some rest. Sorry for calling-"

"Woah, woah. Calm down, princess, it's alright. Just give me a moment to fully wake up so we can talk." Louis interrupted my rambling. I heard some shuffling on the other line, bringing me to think Louis was sitting up in his bed. I put the phone on beside me on the bed, allowing my fingers to fiddle as I waited for Louis' voice again.

"Alright, princess. What's going on?" His voice eventually spoke, gaining my attention.

"Well," I started, my brain buzzing with what I could say, "I just wanted to talk to you."

The was a brief pause from Louis. "Why do you always want to talk to me late, or in this case, early?"

I picked at my thumb's nail. "I don't know. I just can't fall asleep." I mumbled, hoping Louis would hear so I didn't have to repeat it.

There was another pause from Louis, longer this time. I heard some more shuffling on his phone, as well as some quiet chatter after a minute or two.

"Louis?" I asked after a few minutes.

"Hold on one moment, princess," was all he said before the call turned into silence again. My fingers fiddled anxiously with each other as the time passed.

"My apologies for that, princess. I just had to do something," Louis finally spoke again, bringing my mind back to ease.

"It's alright. It wasn't exactly fair of me to call you so late again."