Chapter 38

Louis POV

The car glided across the road silently, the trees passing by quickly through the window.

"So, where are we going again?" I asked, keeping my eyes locked outside.

"We're heading to your party," he said simply.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, you've only said that a hundred times. But where, specifically, are we going?"

"To your party." Sam hesitated. I had been friends with Sam for years, so I knew him well. So well in fact that it was obvious when he was lying. But I didn't really care at that moment. I was trying to think of how I was going to somehow escape the party early so I can see Ava, even just for a few minutes. I wonder if my parents invited her. They seemed to like her. Surely they did.

"What's got you so pepped up now? You looked so down just a moment ago." Sam broke through my thoughts and I turned to him.

"No reason," I lied, turning back to the window to hide the smile that spread across my face.

* * * * *

"What are we doing at Ava's house?" I looked at the familiar house as I closed my door. Sam walked up beside me.

"I thought you would want to see Ava before your party." The happiness from before plummeted and I turned to Sam.

"Was she not invited?" He shook his head quietly. I sighed as I walked to the door. Why wasn't she invited? Did my parents think it wasn't her scene? I suppose that makes sense. And also the fact that Ava wants to keep our relationship private.

I knocked on the door and waited for a few moments. I could hear music inside. Maybe she didn't hear me? Just as I was about to knock again, the music faded and the door swung open.

"Happy birthday!" I couldn't help wincing at the screams but I also couldn't help the smile on my face.

Ava stood in front of me with a party hat and a party horn in her hand. Her smile was contagious and I wanted to kiss her right there.

My eyes drifted behind her, and there was a crowd. But it wasn't quite the crowd I was used to. This crowd was small and filled with people I knew, which was the opposite of usual. "What's all this?"

Ava grabbed my arm and pulled me inside. "This," she gestured to the room filled with decorations, "is your birthday party."

I let out a laugh of disbelief at the scene around me. Olivia and Quin stood by a table to food, Sam with them. Surprisingly, my parents were both here, and they were also wearing party hats. It was definitely a sight to see. They spoke to Ava's mother, it looked like they were having a pleasant conversation. And of course, Ava, who stood right next to me, waiting for my reaction.

It may not have been many people, but they were the people that mattered most to me.

"So?" She grinned. "Do you like it?" I looked at her with disbelief and wrapped my arms around her.

"I love it," I whispered. She let out a breath of relief and held me tighter. She must have been so nervous. I pulled away from her gently and took a second glance around the room. "How did you manage this?"

"Oh, pff," she waved her hand, "easy peasy."

"Yeah, somehow I doubt that," I smiled down at her. She rolled her eyes and pushed my chest softly, but smile nevertheless.

"Whatever. What do you want to do first?"

I smiled, confused. "I get to pick?"

She pulled a face, her smile still there. "Of course you do - it's your birthday." She turned on her feet. "So, do you wanna open your presents first? Or maybe cut the cake? Or talk to everyone first? Your call."

"Hmm," I hummed. "All seem like such good options. I don't know how I'll ever pick." I pretended to think until Ava cracked a smile and I joined her. I wrapped my arm around her waist "Let's talk to people first."

"Must have been a tough decision," she teased as we walked toward everyone.

"Oh, definitely in the top five hardest choices of my life." She laughed. God, I could listen to that sound on repeat.

* * * * *

This was definitely the best birthday of my life. Instead of strangers acting like friends and other nobility, I'm with people that I actually care about.

"It's nice to see you again, Louis," Ava's mother smiled. "It feels like it's been far too long."

I smiled back down at her. "It has. How have you been?"

"I've been good. I've had the house to myself a little bit more often, thank goodness, sometimes I need some alone time." I laughed with her. Our conversation continued for a few more minutes before my parents walked over to us.

"Louis, Ms Harlow," my mother greeted. My father gave us a silent nod.

"Please, just call me Lisa." She insisted. My mother smiled.

"We apologise for interrupting your conversation. We were just hoping to have a moment alone with our son."

"Oh, of course!" Lisa pulled away from us with a wave before she headed to the table of food.

I looked back at my parents. "So, what did you need to talk about?"

"Nothing serious, we just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and let you know that we have to leave. Unfortunately, we don't have very much time to spare." Mother answered. I felt a little upset, but it wasn't the first time they had left an event early.

"That's alright. I'll see you both back at home?" They nodded and I turned to leave but was pulled back by my arm. I looked over my shoulder at my mother.

"Just a gentle reminder, son," she began softly, "Ava is a very nice woman. Don't do anything stupid."

I was shocked, to say the least, at the sudden statement. "Why do you say that?"

My mother smiled gently as she inched a bit closer." She organised all of this and came to me with the idea."

I found Ava in the small crowd almost instantly talking with our friends. She planned all of this? I didn't even want to deny the way my heart soared at this.

"Well, I don't need any encouragement, mother." I looked back at her. "I don't plan on letting her go."

My mother smiled and gave me a small kiss on the cheek before she joined my father at the door while I walked over to Ava. My cheeks ached from smiling I had done today, but it didn't stop me from grinning at Ava when she looked over at me. There was only one thought in my mind as I wrapped my arms around her and finally kissed her.

I love this woman.