Chapter 42

Ava POV

I couldn't stop reading the threat. It was kept on replay in my head.

And so was what I was going to say to Louis.

I knew I had to do this, even if it seemed wrong to Quinnie, and I'm sure other people. It was just so difficult to find the right words that would cost the least damage.

I wished I had my friends to help me with doing this, but the friends I had were shunning me, best friends with the man I was breaking up with or the man I'm breaking up with.

It would be a bit difficult to ask one of them.

So instead I'm sitting alone at work, trying to write down something to say that wouldn't hurt so much. Keyword; trying.

What do you say to somebody you're forced to break up with? Sorry, it's not you, but it's the random guy I don't even know threatening me but also you? It's a bit wordy, but it gets the message across.

But it wouldn't work, because I can't tell him any of that. It has to be a clean break.

I reached into Louis' jacket pocket, taking out the letter and photos. I thought that I shouldn't bring it to work where I could lose it, but I needed it to remind me of what's at risk if I started to change my mind.

Louis didn't deserve this. He deserved the world - no, the universe. Stars and all.

Footsteps sounded, cutting through my thoughts and I quickly put the note and photos into my pocket, putting on a small smile.

"How can I help you?" I asked, organising something on the table.

"I was hoping I could talk to my intelligent, gorgeous girlfriend. Is she available?"

I smiled sadly. I was gonna miss this. "She is."

Louis leaned in on the table, sliding my hands into his. "How have you been today? You seemed upset when I came over."

My heart hammered, but I kept my face blank. "Just a bit stressed. You?"

"Better now." My heart ached and my stomach sunk.

How was I going to do this to him?

Should I do it now?

No, that wouldn't be fair. I should do it in private.

"Louis," I leaned towards him, crossing my arms on the table, "could you come over tonight? I have something I need to tell you."

"Of course - in fact, I have something to tell you as well. And give you."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Give me? What are you talking about?"

He clicked his tongue and shook his head with a smile. "Nope. You'll find out tonight."

"Louis..." I warned.

"I'll see you tonight, mon étoile." He stole a kiss before he stood tall. "I hope your day gets better." He gave me a subtle wink before walking off, pulling at the hood of his jacket.

My breathing got faster and heavier, and I sunk into my chair.

This wasn't going to go well.

* * * * *

This was getting more and more hard to think about.

I don't think I could do this.

Louis was going to be over here in less than 5 minutes, and I had prepared shit. This was going to be messy and that was not what I wanted.