Chapter 44

Hi all! Sorry for the short chapter, but I hope you all like it. Let me know you're thoughts and have a nice day!

8 Months Later

Ava POV

Things were getting better thankfully. Quinnie and I made up after a couple of days, which was good, because I needed her and Liv to help me get through the breakup.

Time passed slowly, but it had been 8 months since I last saw Louis in person. I couldn't avoid him on TV though. He was the prince, after all.

Now that so much time had passed, it felt surreal that I had even dated Louis. Even met him. It all felt like a fantasy. I don't understand how we were so happy.

But now, I was reminded that this was the real world. They weren't a such thing as 'fairytales'.  We had work to do, bills to pay. And even though it was good for me to be back in the real world doesn't mean that I liked it at all.

I had to take another job that I do overnight. It was nice to take a break from doing another job, but the rent was increased, which meant I needed to get more money.

I still had the check Louis had given us, but it didn't feel right to cash it in.

"I'm home!" The front door opened, and Olivia came striding in with her hands in the air.

"This isn't your house," Quin deadpanned from a few feet behind her.

"It basically is."

"Hey, guys," I called from the kitchen, taking a bite of my toast slathered in peanut butter.

"Hi," Quin walked over to me, Olivia trailing behind, "how are you?"

People had been asking me that question a lot lately. It was kind of annoying, like they had been walking on eggshells around me, thinking I was gonna break down at any moment.

"I'm fine." Was anyone ever truly fine?

She gave me a look, but didn't pry.

"Anything interesting happen to you guys?"

"Other than a hottie in the store," Olivia shrugged, "nothing."

Quinnie rolled her eyes. "The most interesting thing for me was the TV."

"Same," I chuckled. "Want anything to eat?"

Olivia was behind the small counter before I had even finished my sentence, fishing out two slices of bread and chucking them in the toaster.

"You put one in for me?" Quin raised an eyebrow, and Olivia stared at her blankly. I laughed as Quin rolled her eyes yet again at her behaviour.

It was nice to get back into old behaviours, joking around with each other. 

It felt like it had been way too long since we last hung out without arguing.

"Ooo, what's this?" Olivia announced, gaining our attention easily. I looked over to where she was and felt myself frown.

It was the check Louis had given me before I broke it off. I told them about it, but I didn't mention how much.

"That's the check Louis gave me," I echoed my thoughts, putting my plate in the sink.

I heard some crinkling from the paper, and I sighed. She was probably opening it and then she would-

"Holy shit!" What did I say? "You didn't say he gave you this much!"

"I didn't think it was important."

"A million dollars isn't important?!" She shrieked, and I was sure if she were any louder she would have shattered all of the windows.

"It isn't about the money-"

"Ooh," she fanned herself, "but it definitely helps."

I rolled my eyes and turned to Quin, hoping for some sort of help, but she was quiet.

I didn't know why, but when I saw the look on her face, I understood.

She was probably still pissed off about what I did, and seeing the check isn't helping.

"Liv, can you put that back please?"

"But why?" She whined. "I wanna look at all the zeroes."

"Liv," I sighed, and she rolled her eyes, but put it back in the envelope and back where she found it. I snuck a glance back at Quin, and she seemed to be normal.

Liv trudged over to the couches and plopped down, sighing heavily as she did. We followed her lead and sat down near her, leaning back against the couch.

"This is so boring," she whined, sliding down the couch so she was barely sitting on it.

"Sorry that we're not entertaining enough for you," I teased.

"You should be. Very dissapointing. Zero stars."

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "We're not an Uber."

"No, you're a Rent-A-Friend. Very bad quality though. I need to give you back."

We laughed. We kept talking, making jokes and telling more stories about people we ran into from school or work.

After about half an hour, my mum came out from her room.

"Hi!" Olivia waved, and my mum waved back.

"Hey, girls. How have you been?"

"Good," they said in unison.

"Good, good," she mumbled. "Just came to get some water, don't mind me."

She was gone in a few minutes, carrying a glass of water with her.

It had only been around ten minutes after she left that Olivia's phone buzzed.

She pulled it out of her pocket as Quin and I carried on with the conversation.

"Holy crap cakes," she gasped, holding her hand close to her open mouth.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh shit," Quin muttered, looking at her phone as well.

"What?" I asked again, becoming slightly annoyed. But they were both silent.

"Ok, this is getting annoying," I let out an exasperated sigh. I reached for Quin's phone but she pulled it away from me last minute, making me curse at her. "What the hell? Just let me see."

"I think," she started, "you should check your phone."

I sighed, getting more and more frusturated, but stood up anyway.

I walked over to the counter, seeing my phone buzz a few steps away.

I scooped it up, typing in my password and clicking on the closest social media app.

I wish I hadn't though, because I found out the worst piece of information possible.

Louis was engaged.