Chapter Fourteen: The Lady in White

Ares's POV

I started inspecting the place. Birds were flying in the sky, going back to their nests in these trees.

Suddenly I heard my name being called. I stood still, at hearing a heavenly voice.

I turned around but there was no one except some animals.

I kept hearing the sweet voice for quite some time when I was trying to go inside the tree.

“Who is there?” Aspen roared through me.

“Ares. ” The same voice spoke again. I smelt a light feminine smell close to me. It was like lavender and honey mixed together but it created a sweet smell which made me feel dizzy but in a good way. I liked the smell very much.

I looked everywhere again and this time I noticed a girl, no, woman sitting on a large stone close by. She was wearing a long white dress which was flowing like a cascading waterfall. It was sweeping the floor and covered the grass close to her. She was barefooted but the one thing which captured me was her face.

It looked beautiful but was blurred out, except her striking blue eyes. It looked like a beautiful blue sea which pulled me into it.

And I fell deeply, when her eyes pulled me in like a quicksand. I felt calm around her. All my worries vanished as soon as it came. She gave me a sense of comfort, peace and happiness.

“Alpha King Ares. ” She said in her smooth voice which floated through the air and reached my ears like a singer singing a beautiful song.

I walked forward untill I reached the stone where she was seated.

“Who are you? ” I asked her in a daze. She laughed softly, the sweet ringing of her soft voice which brought a smile to my lips, unknowingly. That was the first time I had smiled since her death.

“You can call me Phoenix, King Ares. ” She said, maybe smiling. Her face being blurred out, made it seem impossible to recognize her face. She had dark black hair, which reached her waist. And a small flower crown on her head.

“What are you doing here, at this time in the evening? ” I asked. There were rumours about creatures lurking in this forest and this women, was alone here, at this hour of the day, and it made me anxious and scared for some reason. Scared for her life.

“I should be the one asking that question, King Ares. You don't rule this part of the forest although it comes in your land. Forgive me for being so harsh, but you are not allowed here. ” She said, the blurred out part stretching. Maybe it happens only when she smiles. Everytime she smiled, the blur stretched out.

“I am sorry for entering into the forest.” I said genuinely sorry. If she could ask me to give up my life here, I would gladly do so. That's the power her voice held. And her beauty was out of this world. She looked so beautiful that it was impossible to not to stare at her. Although it may seem rude to her, that a stranger keeps staring at her.

“You can tell me about what's bothering you. ” She said with a soft voice.

“I don't thi-” She stopped me mid sentence.

“People say that, they forget all their worries when they speak about it to me. You could try that. I am all ears. ” She said playing with the ring on her finger. It looked like a wolf design. I sighed and sat down next to her, on another stone.

“Rogues attacked my borders. They didn't actually attack but came to give a warning that their leader, is going to take over the throne. I don't know what I should be doing now. There's no Queen to help the people. All the three of us haven't found our mates so it seems that there are no women in our pack although there are. ” I said looking at the water in which Phoenix was dangling her legs.

“Hmm... Let me tell you. All the girls, I mean you three men's mates are in the same place which means they live in the same pack. And you are going to find them soon. Didn't you plan about hosting a ball? You are going to find her that day. ” She said smiling.

“How do you know about the ball? I haven't even told anyone about it. ” I asked in confusion.

“I know everything, King Ares. ” She said grinning. “And about the warning from the rogues, you will be getting the solution when the time comes.”

We sat silent for a while, and then I broke the silence.

“Why is your face blurred? ” I asked curiously.

“That's a secret. ” She said winking. Oh god. How I love her eyes, I thought, when she chuckled lightly.

“You are the first, to think that, King.”

She said smiling.

“What?” I asked not understanding.

“You said you love my eyes.” She said smiling again. Doesn't she get tired of smiling? Well, she looks really pretty when she smiles.

“Did I say that out loud?  I asked in horror. “I am sorry, I shouldn't ha-” Her laughter cut me off mid-sentence. I looked at her in awe. She looked stunning. Seeing her laugh like that, made me chuckle softly, for the first time in hundred years.

“King Ares. You are so cute. ” She said and began laughing again. I couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed. I felt my cheeks get hotter due to her comment.

“But I am not cute at all. You should actually call me handsome.” I said winking. She laughed again.

We sat together laughing and cracking jokes at each other. I hadn't enjoyed myself like this in so many years. It felt good to be able to speak your inner feelings and thoughts with others. It made me happy.

“Thanks a lot Phoenix. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you very much for your help.” I said smiling. She nodded happily smiling.

“It's not a problem, King Ares. It was good talking to you. And you will now be allowed to visit this forest without anyone's permission. You can come here whenever you want. But now it's time for you to head back.” She said slowly getting up from her seat. “Hope to see you soon, Ares.” She whispered softly, maybe it was not meant for me to hear. She didn't use my title at the end of the sentence.

Before I could reply, she waved her hand and a flash of light blinded me. I closed my eyes, yet feeling the light pricking my eyes.

Suddenly the light disappeared and I opened my eyes shocked, at what I discovered.

I was sitting on my bed in my castle.

Was that a dream?  How did I get here?  Did I really speak to that woman? She must've been a girl living in that forest. Otherwise why would she be there in the forest, at that hour?

Moreover, Who was the lady in white?

........................................................................

A/N:

Hello guys.  Thoughts on this chapter?

Who might be the 'leader' the rogues mentioned?

And what do you think is gonna happen next? 👀

And lastly what do you all think about the 'lady in white'? 🤔

Vote and comment your views... 🙂