Chapter Twenty Five: Apologies and Forgiving

Ares's POV

I couldn't help but sit silently across Pheonix as she stared at me with her enticing blue eyes, her face blurred.

I don't know how, but I lost all my thoughts.

One second I was talking with Remus and the next second I was kneeling on the ground, with the Goddess being dissapointed.

I had felt like I was watching the incident sitting idle at the side.

Yet, it was my fault. I was going to kill an innocent man, blinded by something, which I am not sure of.

“The people have already forgotten about the incident. ” She said, and I nodded. It was not a surprise. Pheonix had powers, which were beyond our imagination. And making people forget about something was nothing special.

“I know that you are blaming yourself for what happened. But don't worry. It's not your fault at all. ” She said calmly, staring at me.

“Bu-”

“No. You were controled by someone, who had more power than you. You couldn't have escaped it.” She said seriously.

“Who is it? ” All my guilt flew away, replaced by immense rage towards the one who thought they could control me.

“I understand what you are feeling, Alpha. But I still cannot disclose it with you. At least, not now. ”

I nodded. I couldn't do anything, except sit quietly. If she couldn't tell me about it, there was nothing more to do.

I asked another question which was eating my head since the past three days.

“How do the rogues know about my mate? And the letters I send her? ”

She whipped her head to me, so fast that I heard a loud crack.

“Where did you hear about it? ” Pheonix asked, her voice deep.

“The rogues who came to my borders the other day. The rogue we captured, spoke about the letters. ” I said, looking at her, as her eye color changed. A bit of purple mixed with her light blue. A deadly combination. Her eyes looked pretty, yet dangerous.

I felt the still in the air. It was tense. The birds had actually stopped chirping, and the trees were still, there was no rustling of the leaves.

“I want you to stop your interaction with your mate. Same goes for Charles and Louis too. You can see them on the day of the ball. Understand? ” She asked, seriously.

I nodded. What else could I do?

We sat silently after that just listening to the chirping of the birds. The sunlight was falling through the leaves, trees were covering the view of the midday sun. Animals were peaking from behind the bushes at us, or specifically me.

I heard the soft sound of the water falling to the ground at a distance . I looked at Pheonix and found her staring at me.

“Is there a waterfall nearby? ” I asked curious. She nodded and pointed in the direction of the sound.

“The most beautiful waterfall of the forest is over there, although there are many. ” She said. “Want to go? ”

I nodded excitedly and we stood up, walking towards the waterfall. Although I had come to the forest twice before, I didn't really have the time to wander and observe the place.

The wet grass tickled my feet as I was not wearing my shoes. Even Pheonix was barefooted, her creamy skin glistening under the opaque rays of the sun. She was touching all the plants, smiling softly. Her eyes bright and happy.