Happy Ever After - Jon Langston

Inspired by Make It Past Georgia by Ashland Craft

+++

You belt out your newest song out into the mic, your hands holding the headphones covering your ears. You had written this song about your ex, Jon.

You had written this song a few months after you had broken up, the whole situation heavy on your heart still.

It's not something you talk about, your feelings at least. You gotta keep up that badass doesn't-give-a-fuck persona.

You miss him, sure. You spent years with Jon but there was a huge fight that broke you up.

Something about you two never seeing each other even though you were engaged and living together.  Your schedules never lined up and that really started to get the ball rolling.

Or maybe it's because some city boy guy kept hitting on you.

You finish up recording your newest creation then you're out the door to your nearby apartment.

+++

A couple days later, you're minding your own business, listening to a random Spotify playlist when you hear an all too familiar voice pouring through your car's speakers.

You pull of to the side of the road and slam on the breaks.

That fucking voice.

Your ex-fiancé's voice.

Jon Langston's voice.

"... And then she up and dropped me for a dude with a daddy trust fund..."

You grunt in anger and do a U-turn in the middle of the road, speeding off to EMI Records.

As soon as you're parked, you slam your car door shut and stomp to the main doors. You're buzzed in and soon you're making your way through the building.

"Jon!" You shout, startling everyone in the room.

"(Y/N)?"

"We need to talk." You state, grabbing his inked arm.

He pulls his limb out of your grasp and gives you a dirty look. "We can talk right here."

"Happy Ever After!? Was that some cheap shot at me!?"

"Yup." Your jaw drops, you weren't expecting him to be so upfront. "Don't give me that look. You're the one who dropped Make It Past Georgia first! Eye for an eye."

You're speechless.

"That wasn't- it wasn't a jab at you, Jon."

"Bullshit."

You look past him at the guys watching you two bicker.

"Did you actually listen to my song?" You ask, crossing your arms not defensively, more protectively.

The look on his face answers your question.

"Figures." You shake your head and turn on your heel, heading for the door. "Hey!" You yelp when you feel a strong hand around your upper arm.

Jon pushes you out to the hallway.

You yank your arm away and smack him across the cheek.

He licks his lips and closes his eyes as he nods. "I deserve that."

You huff and push your hair back out of your face. "What's going on between us?" You ask rhetorically. "Do you really hate me that much?"

"No." He mumbles.

"Then why are we doing this?"

Jon pulls his hands from his pockets to grasp the sides of your face. He leans in and kisses you hard, pushing you back against the wall.

You kiss him back with the same fire, your leg coming up to hook over his hip. He drops a hand to keep it there as he continues kissing you.

You gently push him back to catch your breath, your cheeks pink and your chest heaving.

"I'm sorry." He says sincerely, brushing his thumbs across your flushed cheeks.

"Me too." You whisper back, your eyes locking with his blue ones.

"You, uh, wanna give this another try?"

"Yeah." You nod, grinning when he kisses you again.