Dangerous - Morgan Wallen

"C'mon! Just an hour. What can go wrong?"

"Alright, alright." You finally agree to your best friends begging.

He's been going through a rough time, what with his ex fiancé getting married and all, so you're happy to join him on this adventure out to Broadway.

He hasn't been feeling himself since the news broke last week but he's possibly starting to get back into the swing of things.

You decide to drive tonight, fully allowing him to drink as much as he wants responsibly.

You pull up to his house and shoot him a text. Within five minutes he's joining you in your Bronco.

"Man, this is what I need. I don't need to be cooped up in that house all day." He says, getting comfortable in the shotgun seat. "No use in cryin' over spilt milk, y'know?"

You hum in response, merging onto the highway.

It's a quiet but quick ride to downtown. The busy Nashville night life is just starting.

"C'mon." Morgan takes your hand and pulls you into the first bar, Luke Bryan's place.

After an hour or so, he's pulling you to another bar, then another then finally to what's probably the last one since he's pretty gone.

Eric Church's bar, Chiefs.

"Morgan, c'mon. It's time to let her go." One of his friends, Ernest, says to him. "It's been four years since y'all been together."

Four years.

"She's the mother of my son. Some other guy is gonna raise my boy." He huffs. "I'm basically the step dad to my own kid."

You and Ernest look at each other.

"Morgan, it's gonna be alright."

He sighs and leans against the railing of the rooftop bar, his jaw clenched and his arms tensed.

He suddenly grabs a nearby chair and throws it over the side of the roof.

"Morgan!" You gasp, immediately looking over the ledge to see if it hit anyone.

Luckily, it didn't.

Unluckily, it landed about six foot from a cruiser and two cops.

"Fuck."

"You idiot!" You snap, grabbing him by the arm.

"Oh shit." He rubs his face with his hands and sighs. "Let's go."

Ernest is choking back laughs, his cheeks red from swallowing any sign of amusement as his best friend heads to the stairs.

You follow him down to the sidewalk where he's stopped by the cops he almost hit.

Without saying anything, he turns and puts his hands behind his back.

You shake your head as you watch him slide into the backseat of the cruiser.

He just got his name cleared from the news a couple months ago for his arrest a little while back and hope it's going to be plastered everywhere again.

+++

"I don't know how you wiggled your way outta this one." You sigh as Morgan climbs into the passenger seat of your car.

"A good lawyer and joining AA." He mutters back.

This is his third time to try and stop drinking.

Hopefully this time will stick.

"You can stay at my house for a while." You offer, turning onto his street.

He's quiet. "Maybe that'll help."

You've always been his support, even from when you were both five and he was starting out with baseball.

You park in your spot behind his truck on the street.

"You've got this, Morg." You say softly, patting his knee. "C'mon. Let's get some of your things and go back to my house."

"Alrighty." He opens the car door. "Thank you, (Y/N)."

You smile back. "Of course."