Falling Apart - Parker McCollum

"You gonna ask me to prom or what?" You ask your best friend as you sit on the couch next to him.

Parker chuckles. "I would but my cousin's gettin' married that weekend." You groan and drape yourself over his lap, making him laugh again and run his hand over your hair. "You got a dress yet?"

"No, I was waitin' for you to ask me."

"Sorry." He sighs.

"It's fine." You say as you sit up. "Moose's been wantin' to ask me."

"That guy you been talkin' to?"

"Yeah. He's on the prom court."

"You really wanna spend your night with that lunkhead?"

"Hey, he's nice to me." You say, defending someone who particularly doesn't deserve it.

Moose is your typical jock; dumb, sweaty and sports 24/7 but he's nice to you and shows interest in you so you're willing to give him a shot.

"You wanna go dress shopping with me?" You tease, scrunching your nose up at him.

"No way." He mirrors you, letting you fidget with the watch around his wrist. "But I will if you want me to."

You smile. "I'm gonna go to that boutique in town if you wanna come with. I'll buy lunch."

"I'll get my shoes."

+++

Parker had mindlessly picked out a beautiful navy blue dress that fits you in all the right places, the cool tone compliments your complexion perfectly.

You really do feel beautiful in this dress.

You step into your shoes and take one last look in the mirror before heading to the front room to keep an eye out for Moose.

He said he'd pick you up around six and it's quarter til so he's still got time.

A half hour has passed and still no Moose.

You shoot him a text reminding him of your address and the time he said he'd be there but he doesn't respond.

You run your hand through your hair as another half hour passes.

The prom has started.

He stood you up.

Moose stood you up.

You grab your phone and keys and head to your car.

You're not going to prom, no.

You're going to Parker's. Hopefully he's home from the wedding by now.

+++

The house is dark and quiet as you sit on the front stoop, black tears slowly rolling down your blush dusted cheeks as a cool Texas breeze tosses your once neatly styled hair around. You've ditched your shoes, the heels that were once adorning your feet now thrown in the gravel in front of you without care. Your eyes are locked on the ground in front of you when headlights wash over you.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N), what're you doin' here? Why aren't you at prom?"

You finally lift your head and lock eyes with Parker, his jaw clenching at the tear tracks on your face. "What did he do?" He borderline growls.

"Stood me up." You mumble back, letting him drape his jacket over your shoulders. You lean into his embrace, brushing stray hairs from your face. "I waited for an hour, Parker, and he never came."

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). You don't deserve that." He whispers back, resting his hand on your knee comfortingly.

Parker pulls his phone from his pocket and hits play on a random playlist. He stands and holds his hand out for yours. You take it and get to your feet.

His hands rest on your hips while you wrap your arms around his neck, resting your head against his shoulder.

This is the sweetest thing Parker has ever done for you and it causes more tears to swell in your eyes.

You laugh when he spins you around on the front porch, smiling with you.

This moment makes up for everything and honestly, you're glad you got stood up by Moose.