Mississippi Or Me - Riley Green

"I ani't gonna lie
When those headlights pulled into my drive tonight
Was a sight for sore eyes, last thing I thought I'd see
And is something wrong? What brought you home?
Was it tough out on your own?
Or did you drive all the way down here just to see me?'

"Riley?"

He keeps his head down as he turns the wheel of his lawn mower to cut another crisp stripe.

"Riley!?"

There's no way he can hear you over the mower. You wait for him to be close enough to where you can throw something at him to grab his attention but instead of doing that, you decide to sit on the porch and wait for him to be done.

It's another 45 minutes before he's killing the engine after storing the mower safely in the shed.

Riley is in the middle of using his discarded shirt to wipe the sweat and stray grass blades from his tan face before he stops dead in his tracks at the sight of you on the porch swing yet again.

Months.

It's been months since his eyes have landed on you at his house.

"What brought you home?" He asks, his glistening tan chest heaving as he catches his breath.

You don't have the right answer for him.

You honestly don't know why you're back here.

You just got in your car and drove with no destination in mind.

"Riley-"

"I got shit to do." He states, walking to the house.

You know all he wants to do is hold you- talk to you- kiss you, but the way you left is still front and center in his head.

"Riley?" You boldly follow him into his house, quietly closing the door behind you.

He has so many questions to ask but he doesn't know where to start. Was it the country that brought you back? Did your dreams turn into a dead end street? Was it the names you wrote on the water tower that one night after too many beers? Why are you back home with him again?

"Why are you here?" He finally settles on, leaning against the kitchen sink with a glass of water in his dirty hand.

"I just missed Mississippi, all of it."

"Sure." He borderline scoffs, shaking his head to himself.

"Riley, I'm coming home."

He stops his arm mid raise, soaking in what you just said. "You're moving back?"

"Next month. Came home to find a place and sign off on some papers but yes, I'm coming home."

He can't help the small smile on his face.

"I wanted you to know from me. I'll be back around soon."

He sets his glass down on the counter then takes a few steps toward you. Immediately, you melt into his arms, your face pressed to his chest, his chin on the top of your head as he holds you tight.

"Good. I missed you."

You look up and press the softest kiss to his lips. "I missed you too."