That's How Ya Left Me - Riley Green

He looks up from his lap, slowly lifting his head from his hands when he hears you shuffle down the stairs.

"I'm leaving you."

Those three words are like a knife in his sturdy chest.

He knows what he did was so wrong but he doesn't want you to go.

You can't go.

He brings himself back to the moment with glossy eyes when he realizes you're not at the steps anymore.

Quickly, he gets to his feet and heads out to the driveway where you're throwing your bags in the back of your car.

"Baby, don't- please-"

You ignore him as you stack up the duffles, your cheeks red with anger.

He smacks his hand against the door to stop you from slamming the trunk shut. You jump at the sudden aggression then push him away, walking around the passenger side of your car since he's blocking the left side.

He stops you again, keeping the drivers side closed to stop you again.

You can't leave him.

"Please move."

Your voice is meek yet hard as you lock eyes with him. His eyes drop to your thinly pressed lips and he mindlessly darts his tongue out to wet his.

He leans down and kisses you hard, blindly pushing you against the side of your car, keeping you in place between his arms.

"Stay."

You look up at him with tired eyes and shake your head.

You've made up your mind, goddamn it.

He's the one who messed this all up.

So why is it up to you to stay?

It isn't.

"Goodbye, Riley."

You nudge him out of your way then climb into your car, backing out into the street.

He watches with tears in his eyes and a lump in his throat, contemplating chasing you down, praying the train would stop you and maybe, maybe make you change your mind but

that's wishful thinking.

Slowly, he lowers himself to the front step, his head in his hands and tears down his face.

You left.

You're gone.