Chapter 20. Support

"We should. Talk about things. Yeah. That's what I was gonna say." His smile grew a bit as he spoke. It wasn't the Cooper smile that met his eyes, one I have grown to know but it was something. Better than no smile or the half side smile.

"I didn't mean what I said when I called you an idiot and dense." I rushed out. "I hope you know I don't think that. Not really. I was just... upset." I paused. "And I'm really sorry."

Cooper shifted his position in the chair before addressing me again. "I appreciate it. The apology and all." Settling himself in the seat once more, he added, "I don't want to lose you, Spence. I know you were upset and freaking out about our parents finding out but-"

"But I think we're good." I cut in. "I know it's not for the best of reasons but our fight, it seems to have distracted our parents from the whole... porn thing. I think they'll just be happy we made up and if things go back to normal they'll just forget-"

"I don't want things to go back to normal!" He abruptly said, a sternness in his voice.

"But-"

"Listen, Spence." He mellowed down as he began speaking again. "What I said about how I felt about" he gestured between the two of us, "I would rather your friendship than nothing but it doesn't change who I am. I'm gay and I really hope you can accept and support me."

"I will always accept you, Coop. But hear me out, please?" I began to beg.

He went to cut me off but I kept talking. "Maybe it was just that one girl. Just because you couldn't get it up for her doesn't mean you're completely gay. Randy's 18+ night is coming up soon. We can go and find some girls together and maybe-"

He stood up with such force, it didn't take me long to realize I had fucked up again. He just stood hovering above me, biting his bottom lip for a moment. His glare cast down upon me, red and glossy.

"Y-you. You. You." He stuttered. "You can't be fucken serious!"

Disregarding the comforter I had draped over me, I stood up to meet him and grabbed his wrist fearing he would leave. "Please, Coop. I'm only trying to help." I pleaded he understood where I was coming from.

He yanked his wrist out of my grip. "You'll never stop, will you?" He asked. "How can you say you support me in one sentence and then try and convince me again that I don't know who I am."

"That's not what I said."

"Isn't it though? If not, what the fuck would I want to go out meeting girls for?"

"I'm just trying to fix things!"

"I don't need fixing!"

"I'm not just talking about you. I mean us. Our families. Everything."

He didn't reply at first. We stood a few feet apart just staring at one another.

"Not just talking about you." He mimicked my works, hushed under his breath but loud enough for me to hear.

I dramatically exhaled. "Maybe that came out wrong." I suggested.

"Do you accept that I am gay and will support me?" His closed-ended question left me speechless. He wanted a yes or no but it was more complicated than that.

I would support him. Would accept him without question but I needed to know he was certain before I went to battle with my family for him. The repercussions could break him. He is so fragile sometimes. If our parents shut him out because of it, I needed to know without a shadow of doubt that he was one hundred percent gay. Then, I would pack-up and leave with him if needed. Shield him from their wrath.