Chapter 32. Christmas Eve and being "saved"

It was the same every Christmas Eve. The house would be packed by three in the afternoon. The first set of appetizers would already be out, soon followed by the second round. By five, after the second round of appetizers were polished off, many family friends who stopped by would start packing up to head to their own family gatherings. At Six Fifteen sharp, dinner was served buffet style. Around Eight in the evening, our grandparents would pack up and leave, as well as some of our older aunts and uncles with their children wanting to head out to see their friends or significant others.

Nine was when the magic happened and the fun would begin. Those left started feeling little to no pain from all the alcohol consumed and with less people in the house, close friends were welcome to come by. This year, it was just Jessica and Luke since many of our siblings now had friends at college - leaving their local high school friends in the dust. Kinda sad, really.

During the first few hours of the festivities, I dragged Vicky around, introducing her to everyone she insisted she be introduced to. She and Mama Sophia had a decently long talk which made me feel good but for some reason, my Mom had every excuse in the book as to why she couldn't hold a conversation for more than two minutes. I tried a few times to get the two talking and each time someone my mother just had to speak to caught her eye or she needed to attend to the food. It was always something.

I didn't mind Vicky forcing me upstairs to introduce her and mingle with the more elderly bunch though. It kept me away from what I knew would be coming and that was being officially introduced to Cooper's boyfriend. I haven't even gotten a good look at him yet. The small amount of time I spend in the basement, I made sure not to look their way even once.

Vicky had asked to use the bathroom and while I was waiting for her close by, a voice questioned me. "So, do I smell or something? I swear I didn't step in dog shit or anything. Do my pit's smell?" He sniffed under his arm and then smirked. "Why are you avoiding me, Spence?"

I tried to laugh it off but it was clear as day I was caught. "Coop, Man. I would never. How are you?" I went in to hug him and we both awkwardly moved closer not sure how tight of an embrace it should be. We landed on the bro hug with one arm around each other than the other shaking hands. "Merry Christmas!" I cheered.

"Merry Christmas, Spence." He sounded sincere. "So." He hesitated and swayed a bit on feet. "Was that Vicky I saw you with?"

I shook my head yes and then pointed down the hall towards the bathroom. "Just waiting for her to finish powdering her nose." I wanted to facepalm myself. Powering her nose? Who says that anymore!

"Powdering her nose?" Cooper laughed. "I thought our grandparents left already."

"Haha."

"Seriously though." Cooper's voice dropped. "When she's done doing her lady things, come down and chill for a bit."

"For sure man." I responded awkwardly. I hated this. This was not how we interacted. This is Cooper. I am Spencer. Why am I acting like an ass?

"All done!" Oh yeah. She's why. Vicky's voice sang through the hallway. When she noticed Cooper standing near me she stopped dead in her tracks. "Oh. Hi. I'm Vicky. You must be Cooper." The sweet and innocent sounding girl I thought I knew sounded much different when addressing him. Almost like she had something against him and I didn't like it one bit.

"In the flesh!" Cooper sang with a big grin on his face.

"Who's flesh are we flaunting?" As though this couldn't get anymore awkward, the one face I didn't recognize came strolling into the hallway. The face I've been trying to avoid.

Cooper turned to find his boyfriend walking towards us. "My flesh." Cooper laughed and then turned back. He stepped to the side to better introduce us as his boyfriend approached.