Unsatisfied

Asia's POV

Charlie and I made it to Texas. When he said he had friends down here, I pictured a situation like Logan's.

It wasn't.

I was the only one who got their own bedroom, 'cause Charlie negotiated it for me. I think he felt bad.

And these friends weren't like any friends I've had. They drank every night, they smoked insane types of cigars, had tons of drugs. It was more Charlie's scene.

It's been seven months. I'm eighteen. I never heard from Dominick or my foster parents. Or anyone from New York, actually.

It's like I didn't exist to them.

I wished I could undo time. Go back and fix everything. Everything with Jenna. With Devin. With Dallas. I wish I still lived with Logan in New York.

I spend most of my time now just simply working my ass off all the time.

I wait tables at the diner downtown. It's not like I wanna do this for the rest of my life, but it's good for now.

But tonight's the night.

I'm leaving.

I love Charlie. I love staying with him and he's my oldest friend.

But I'm not happy here.

I've thought about this for a while. I wasn't ever sure if I was just unhappy with my current situations or I was just unsatisfied with my life.

I realized that I'm just never gonna be happy.

I wasn't ever gonna be satisfied with where I am.

So I'm gonna go. I'm gonna move around. I don't wanna stay in one spot, because when I do, I fall into this endless spiral of sadness.

I got home from work and threw my bag on the floor. "Hey, Asia." Robert said.

"Hi." I muttered.

Robert, Kaden, Ralph and Mendel are the new guys we live with. Charlie's friends. I try to associate with them in the least amount as possible.

"Wanna go out with us? We're heading to the club downtown."

"No thanks. Is Charlie here?"

"Charlie!" He yelled.

"What?" I heard him call out behind his door.

"Yes. Yes he is." He said to me.

I grinned. "Thanks." I walked upstairs and knocked on his door. "Can I come in?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said.

I opened the door and he was just putting his shirt on. "What's up?"

"Ok. So before I say anything-"

He cut me off. "You hate it here and you wanna leave, but you don't want me to be mad so you were gonna tell me not to, but I already know exactly what you're gonna say, because I know you and you don't know where you wanna go yet, but you also realized you're not happy in one place. Right?"

My jaw must have touched the floor. "How did you know all that?" I asked.

"I've known since day one. I wondered how long it was gonna take for you to snap."

"B-But..."

"Asia, I'm not mad. You're one of my closest friends. I want you to be happy. I know you. I know you've hated every town you've visited. I figured you'd hate it here too. I know what happened the last time you lived in a house filled with a bunch of guys, too."

I grinned. "So you're ok with it?" I asked.

"Yes, of course. As long as you promise to visit every once in a while. Please?"

"Yes, of course." I said with a laugh. "Thank you."

I couldn't contain myself. I hugged him and he hugged me back.

"I'll see you again. Don't worry. Go back. Go somewhere else. I know you wanna get out of here as soon as possible."

I laughed. "Got that right."

Two weeks went by and I quit my job, packed all my things together, and figured out a plan.

California. Start over there. Away from New York. Away from Michigan. Away from Oklahoma. Away from Texas. All of. As far as possible. Then after a bit, I'll move around. Take a train wherever I feel like going.

Now all that's left is to get a train ticket.

"Good luck." Charlie said hugging me before I left. "You sure you don't wanna ride?"

"I'm ok. Thank you. I'll visit. I promise." I said with a faint smile.

"Alright. Have fun. Try not to be so unsatisfied with everything."

I laughed. "I'll try my best. Bye!" I said excitedly.

I walked out the door and walked quickly to the train station. I walked up to the girl and sighed. "Hi. What's the quickest way to get to California?" I asked.

She looked at her book. "We have a train leaving tomorrow at five in the afternoon or we have a train leaving in two hours to New York where you'll immediately be able to get to California after it."

I frowned. "That's it?" I asked. I wasn't really looking to ever go back to New York.

She looked again. "Actually, we have a train leaving for Oklahoma in fifteen minutes and then you'll get there around two in the morning and then another train is leaving at five in the morning, so three hours later, for California."

I sighed. "What cities?"

"Tulsa to Los Angeles."

Of course.

"I'll take it." I said.

Despite my better judgement, I paid for the ticket to Tulsa.

Maybe I should go say goodbye to Dallas before I leave forever. Before I run across the country and cut of communications from every single person I've ever known.

It's not like it's marriage. It's a goodbye. And I'll do things differently than last time. It'll just be a quick apology and goodbye. That's it. I'll then go to the train station, buy my ticket and get out.

Easier said than done.

But I got on the train and there was no going back now.

I had a few hours to debate on whether or not I was gonna even try and find Dallas.

For all I know, he might not even be there.

For my sake, I hope he's not.