3: Katie

KATIE'S POVSeptember 3rd

KATIE'S POV
September 3rd

I crashed as soon as I hit the pillow, but slept fitfully. Nightmares settled into an ache low in my gut. By 4:30 AM I was wide awake, unable to fall back to sleep. With my backpack already packed for the day, all I had to do was brush my teeth, brush my hair, and get dressed— all of which could be accomplished in about twenty minutes.

I sat up as quietly as I could, ignoring the alarm clock, and reached over to grab the book on my nightstand. It was a romance novel— cliche, but easy to read. I read about a few chapters before I was unable to continue, closing the book carefully and putting it back where it was on my nightstand.

I tried to fall asleep again, forcing my eyes shut, but every time I closed my eyes, he surfaced in my memory. The memories that I tried so hard to run away from. The memories of Johnathan.

I reached my hand out in the cold air, the chill darting it's way up my exposed arm. "It's snowing," I said breathlessly, turning back to Johnathan with wide eyes. He blinked as I complained, "It's April!"

"So?" He exclaimed, thrilled. He quickly grabbed me by the hips and lifted me over the door's threshold. He set me down onto the patio, lightly dusted with snow, and I was lucky to have been wearing any shoes at all.

"John!" I exclaimed, delighted, unphased by his strength. "Your hands are cold!"

"You know I can't help that," his melodic voice sing-songs. He doesn't let go, though, only wraps his arms around my waist tighter. "God, you smell good."

"Watch it," I laugh, lightly shoving his chest. "Find some other girl to sink your teeth into. I'm off limits."

He laughs alongside me, leaning in to touch his forehead to mine. I try not to shiver in the cold air— I am only in my pajamas, after all. "I love you," he whispers into my hairline.

"I love you, too." I exhale, lifting my face up to meet his.

I rub my hands over my eyes and force myself to shut out his laughter. The way he used to comment on how my heart would race whenever he touched me. Stop, I chastise myself, unless you feel like reliving all of the pain, too.

I check the clock again— 6:00. Late enough now that I can get ready without drawing too much suspicion. I gently pad out of bed, opening my closet doors to search for an outfit. However paradoxical the statement, it was lucky that I was relocated in the summer— today would be everyone's first day of school, not just mine. Although, I bet there's not many newcomers to Forks High School.