28: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 19th

KATIE'S POV
March 19th

Blinded by the harsh light of the street, I had to hold my arm up to block the sunlight burning my eyes. I sprint without any sense of direction, just forward, making sure that my mental block is present just in case Edward can somehow sense I'm coming by my (probably unguarded) thoughts.

Bella stumbles behind me, as determined as I've ever seen her, sprinting. Considering her general clumsiness, it's a reasonably impressive speed.

Once I've adjusted to the light, I become suddenly glad the clock is so... visible. We're surrounded on all sides by thousands of festival goers, packed together, lining the streets. I'm almost knocked off my feet by a young boy who steps in front of my path suddenly, and we collide into each other, but I keep running.

Everything is red. The flags blowing in the wind and the people all start to blend together as a monochrome blur. My eyes have adjusted to the light, but only slightly, and it makes my depth perception improbably wonky. I step on peoples' feet too many times to count. I accidentally elbow someone in the side squeezing through the narrow gaps in the parade.

Despite how desperately we push through the crowd, I know one thing; We're going to be too late. We can't go fast enough. Not with this many people. We're too slow, having to push through them all, and Bella's fallen a few yards behind me, unable to match my pace. But how could we slow down now?

A gap in the crowd catches my attention, and we sprint towards it. Suddenly, I'm knee-deep in an elegant fountain, drawing the crowd's attention. I ignore them, kicking up my legs and continuing my sprint through the water. It's icy cold, but it hardly mattered. It made people more eager to get out of my way, actually, tripping over themselves to avoid being sprayed with the droplets.

A deep booming echoed through the square. Twice. Bella starts shouting Edward's name, but I can assume we both know it's too loud for even a vampire to make out her words.

The clock tolls again. We're nearing the tower, now. The crowd is more sparse, so the wind snaps at my back without deflection. Had it been this... intense the whole time?

A family of four is standing near the alleyway Edward must be in, watching Bella and I with quizzical expressions. The youngest girl turns, pointing to the alleyway, and must say something to her mother, who swats down the young girl's hand.

"Edward!" Bella shouts, again, and after a moment, I can finally see him.

His body is cast in shadows, shirtless and somewhat hunched over. He was motionless, statue-like, with purple circles under his shut eyes. As if he was drained— tired.