10: Katie

KATIE'S POVJanuary 18th

KATIE'S POV
January 18th

I spent every day with Bella for the months it takes her to recover. She tells me about Edward, and I tell her about Johnathan. I start to see Edward through her lens, which only makes me angrier with him. And I think she understands what I went through, too.

Slowly, Bella starts coming back to life.

It took me about a month to convince Bella to move back to her old table with her friends instead of us sitting alone at the Cullens' old table. Another month for her to start hanging out with her friends outside school again. Another to go back to work. She never outwardly resists me, but when I encourage her do something that I think is good for her... she shuts down again.

I love her. I love her more than anybody in the world. I would die for her. I hate to admit it, but taking care of her is exhausting. It's like everything about her closed itself off. She has no will to move on, so I have to coax it from her.

I hardly sleep anymore. Bella gets these nightmares every night, screaming with such panic that it wakes up the whole house. Charlie tried helping, at first, but the only thing that ever seems to help is when I sleep in bed beside her, whispering to her. You're okay. I'm right here. Her nightmares are as inevitable as the earth moving on its axis. There's no point to sleep in my room, anymore. I'm better off just falling asleep in her bed to begin with.

Bella more than contributes with companionship, however. She helps me with my homework when I'm too tired to rationalize it, encourages me to get fresh air with her when I've been cooped up with her inside all day. I've never really had a permanent, single best friend, but I know one thing for sure; Bella has taken over that spot with such ease that it feels like it was meant for her.

Mike seemed to give us space when the incident first occurred. Now, he's become his normal self again, chatting with us between classes and inviting us to go see movies and things. It's nothing romantic, luckily. Just platonic. I like things where they are.

And one thing I have to look forward to is Track season conditioning starting up next week. I've been running whenever I can, mostly when Bella is at work. I know it's dramatic, but I don't want her to feel like I'm abandoning her. Leaving Bella alone for too long always seems to set her back. I've come home to her looking limply out the window again, like she did on that first night. I can't take that risk with her. She's made too much progress to be set back.

Damn Edward Cullen. If I ever see him again, I'll rip out his throat myself.

Angela, my angel sent from above, has recently asked Bella to form a study group, so they hang out every day after school. At first, Bella seems guilty that she leaves me to hang out with Angela, but I assure her it's fine. It's good for her. And it gives me enough assurance that I can spend a few hours at practice everyday and she'll be fine.