32: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 21st

KATIE'S POV
March 21st

Under house arrest, life is extremely boring. At least in contrast to the last few days.

I call Jake a few times, but the last time I tried, Billy said he was out and he'd let Jake know I called him. So, I sit at the edge of my bed, plucking the strings of my guitar, playing simple melodies.

I can't face Edward or Bella. However awful that sounds... I can't do it.

He hurt her. Beyond repair. And she's worked her ass off these last six months to put herself back together. And, just as if nothing happened, he's back. They're all back.

It makes me nauseous. And, if I'm being honest, it also makes me scared. That he'll leave again, and we'll have to do this all over again. That he'll stay, and everything will be changed.

I know Edward's been here all night thanks to the incessant pounding in my head, alerting me of the danger he poses. It was nearly impossible to sleep because of it.

I don't realize, however, that he's approaching my room until I hear my door squeak ever so silently from behind me. I snap my head around, setting the guitar down quickly.

Edward must sense my unease, for he steps toward my desk and away from the door, giving me a way to exit. "Can we talk?"

"No thanks," I snap, stubbornly turning away from him. I don't care if it's childish— I don't want excuses or threats from someone who's only inflicted damage on the ones I love.

"I wanted to say that I'm sorry," he continues anyways. "I owe you an apology."

I turn towards him again, frowning, fighting the urge to scoff at him. "Not just me. You owe Bella an apology."

He nods, his golden eyes still locked on me. "I already gave her one. I..." he shakes his head, almost imperceptibly. "I didn't realize the mess I was leaving behind. I thought you two would be safer without me— especially after you told us your story about Johnathan. Not that you are in any way responsible," he rambles, and I think this is the first time I've ever seen him thrown off his game. "I didn't think Victoria would come back. It was wrong to leave you unprotected."

"We were not unprotected," I counter.

"And I owe my thanks to the wolves for that. Especially Jacob," he adds pointedly, obviously trying to appeal this to me. "Even if it was irresponsible and dangerous to trust werewolves, the second most dangerous thing after Victoria," he adds as an afterthought, very quietly.

I stand up, fuming. "The pack is not irresponsible or dangerous. Know what is? Leaving Bella in the middle of the woods. Trying to kill yourself because of Bella. What is wrong with you?"

He grits his teeth. "I love her. More than is comprehensible. I never meant to hurt her. I thought leaving was the only option. But she and I are too... connected now. I can't fathom living without her. Can't you understand? What would you do if Jacob died?"