30: Edward

AN: I could not find a good gif of Edward and Bella from New Moon, so you have to deal with this one

EDWARD'S POV
March 19th

"You'd better make her sit down before she falls," Katie warns me, glancing over at the side Bella's clinging to.

Alice bites her lip. "I agree, Edward. She's going to pieces." I see glimpses of Bella's legs giving out in her head, and realize they are both right.

Bella was trembling, her unnaturally pale skin even paler. Her teeth were chattering, and I wished more than ever I had any body heat to support her. Her eyes were watering slightly, probably blurring, and pull her towards the couch farthest from the nearest humans. "Shh, Bella." I coo, unable to stop myself from rubbing my hand down her hair. She leans into the touch, shaking, distraught by the massacre happening in the stone room.

Her sobs were loud and guttural, coming out raspy as she struggles to breathe.

"She's hysterical, Edward. Perhaps you should slap her," Alice suggests. My head snaps her direction with panic.

Katie just takes the spot next to Bella on the couch, pulling Bella's hands into her lap and rubbing them soothingly. For warmth or for comfort, I didn't know. Katie was hard to read. I was too accustomed to letting people's thoughts speak for them.

"It's all right," Katie murmured, low enough the other humans in the vicinity wouldn't be able to overhear. "You're safe. You're safe," she repeated.

Bella leaned her head on my shoulder, so I quickly wrapped my wool cloak around her to create a barrier between her and my cold skin.

"All those people," Bella choked out, the trembling worsening for a moment.

"I know," I find myself whispering back.

"It's so horrible."

"Yes, it is. I wish you didn't have to see that," I say earnestly. It's true. I wish she weren't here at all, actually. Either of them.

But I'm overjoyed at the thought of Bella being alive. My toxic heart feels renewed with a sense of purpose. A reason to be alive. My love. She curls into my chest, putting both hands under her forehead in a vulnerable position that seems so utterly... Bella.

I sense Gianna approaching before she makes her presence known. That seems unnatural. What is wrong with her? Her thoughts are judgmental of Bella. She thinks, briefly, that Bella isn't very pretty, and assesses Katie as somewhat fierce looking. "Is there anything I can get you?" She asks gently, unflinching at her proximity to us vampires.