5: Katie

KATIE'S POVSeptember 12th

KATIE'S POV
September 12th

Over week passed, each day near identical to the one before it. I went to school, tried to act like I wasn't bored of my classes, and then went back home to do homework, run, and read. I was invited to various activities over the weekend, but denied under the excuse that I was still settling in. A good excuse, perhaps, but not exactly true.

I did agree, however, to going to Bella's birthday party at the Cullen house. I had tried to make Edward promise that the vampires would ignore me, but he refused. "They want to... feel you out," Edward had tried to explain in a hushed tone. "None of us understand your situation. They want to be..." he hesitated again, frowning. "They want to make sure you aren't a threat to us here."

I snorted. "Shouldn't this scenario be reversed?"

Edward shrugged. "They did this to Bella, too. Just the fact that you know us," he avoids the word vampire deliberately, considering the students wandering the halls around us, "makes you a threat. To my sister, at least."

"Alice?" I clarify, raising an eyebrow.

"No, although she wants to figure you out, too. I meant Rosalie."

My mind conjures the image of blonde, scowling Rosalie. "Sure. I'll go to the party. For Bella," I clarify, pointing at his chest. "Not to be interrogated."

He grimaced, rustling his bronze hair under a hand. "I can't stop them from asking you questions." His body language implied that he won't stop them from asking me questions.

"Fine." I had snapped, shutting my locker. "I don't need to dress up, do I?"

He had shrugged, looking away from her. "Wear what you'd like. My family is dressing up, if that changes anything. We don't get to celebrate many birthdays." His tone was sharp and clear: this was important to him.

The warning bell rang, and I pushed my lock to make sure it was secure. "Okay." Was all I said, before slinking off to class.

Despite the days of repeated dullness at school, I knew that I had it better here in Forks than I would have back in Oregon. Back home, the reminders of my family would have been too painful. Everything in the city reminded me of them, and of Johnathan. Even friends were a reminder, since they avoided me when they heard the rumors about my parents' deaths. Not that I wasn't in a constant state of emptiness here, though. The day before Bella's birthday, however, broke the cycle of empty days.

"Katie," Charlie's voice echoed from the living room. I glanced up from my spot at the kitchen table, my math textbook still open in front of me. "A friend of mine is coming over tonight to watch the game. He wanted to wish Bella a happy birthday."