27: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 18th

KATIE'S POV
March 18th

Due to Alice's impressive skills at convincing others to do her bidding, the flight attendants happily switched the seats of the flight around so that Alice, Bella, and I were all sitting next to each other on the flight. Alice took the aisle seat, I took the window, and Bella was in between us, acting as a buffer. Her anxiety was evident in the way she was bouncing her leg, unable to do anything but stare down at her hands.

"It's faster than running," Alice tried to soothe. Bella nodded, but didn't look any more relieved.

I looked down at my mom's copy of Little Women. I had brought it, unable to leave it behind. It's my most prized possession, above both my guitar and my signed Fleetwood Mac CD. I was too worked up to read it, but it was soothing to just hold in my hands.

Suddenly, the question hit me. Would my parents be proud of me? I want to think so. I'm supporting my best friend, trying to undo a mistake of mine. But I'm leaving someone I love behind, blind-sighting Charlie, who has done nothing but try and support me, and putting my life recklessly on the line. As usual, I suppose.

Alice calls... someone, maybe Jasper, and I listen intently. "I can't be sure," she murmurs. "He keeps changing his mind. He's... considering things that would force a reaction. Like exposing himself to the city." She pauses for a moment, listening to his response. "No, you can't! What do you think he'll do if he sees any of us? Exactly. Bella and Katie are our best hope... yes, Katie too. Would Katie ever go along with something one of us proposed?" Another pause. "Yes, I thought of that Jasper. It's worth the risk. One way or another, I'll get out. I love you, Jasper."

She hangs up, putting her phone back before the flight attendant can glare at her more, and turns towards us. Before she can catch my eye, I turn to look out the window.

"Tell me, Alice. I don't understand. Why did you tell Jasper to stop Emmett. Why can't they come help us?" Bella asks in a high voice, and I realize she must have heard more of Alice's call than I did.

"Two reasons," Alice murmurs. "The first I told him. Theoretically, we could physically stop Edward. If Emmett could get his hands on Edward, we could explain it all to him. But you can't sneak up on Edward. If he sees us coming to stop him, he'll act faster. Assume we're trying to stall him long enough to talk him out of it. He'll throw a Buick through a wall or something. The Volturi will have no choice but to go after him.

"And the second..." I look over at her sudden change in tone. "If they're there, and the Volturi kill Edward, they'll fight back. If there was any chance we could win..." she trails off, shutting her eyes. "But we can't, and I can't lose Jasper like that, Bella."