20: Jacob

JACOB'S POVMarch 11th

JACOB'S POV
March 11th

For the first time since my transition, I felt like I was on the moon.

I couldn't believe that Katie didn't care. That she still wanted to be with me even if I was a werewolf. I had run the scenario dozens of times in my head, and none of them had went that well.

When Katie finally kicked me out of her room to get some sleep, I hopped out the window and landed on the ground smiling. I jogged over to the forrest, where I knew the pack had been waiting for a couple of hours with a shit-eating grin on my face.

With a level of control I hadn't experienced before, I went into my wolf form as soon as I reached the tree line. Everything was running through my head in a dreamy fog.

Embry's appreciation was clear. I knew I liked her.

Paul seemed to share Embry's acceptance. So this chick has some sort of like... powers? Why isn't she my imprint?

There was no point trying to play it cool. My blood felt hot suddenly, thinking of Paul and Katie together like that. Of her being his instead of mine.

Woah, Jake, I'm not going to steal your girl. I could sense it was true in his thoughts but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry man. It was a joke.

Did you confirm what she knows about the vampires? Sam asked gently, changing the subject with ease. It was clear that he wanted more than just a reunion— he wanted a firm answer.

Yeah. She knew because she dated one when she lived in Oregon. It was hard to picture what Johnathan looked like. It made me jealous to my core that he was her first love.

So she's a vamp sympathizer? Dude...

No! I don't... just ask her yourself.

You gonna invite her to the Rez to meet Emily? Embry asked, trying to diffuse my frustration.

Yeah, probably. I'll have to apologize to Charlie and Bella first. And explain all of this to Billy so that the air is clear between them. But I'll try to bring her by later.

Good luck with that, man. Paul seemed to be genuinely worried for me. I mean, now that I thought about it, really, I had a lot of work to do to make everything right. It had totally slipped my perspective— how jacked up everything had become between us. Getting Charlie to forgive me might be the hardest part.

But I had a few ideas.

——————————

I pulled into Katie's driveway just after three, with a bag of Harry Clearwater's famous fish fry in one hand and a bouquet of daisies in the other. I don't think I've ever been nervous to talk to Charlie in my entire life, but here we are.