16: Katie

KATIE'S POVFebruary 22nd

KATIE'S POV
February 22nd

Despite how many times I called Jacob on the phone, he wasn't answering me. I called once, twice, sometimes even three times a day. And he never called back.

I'd been trying to check up on him since my birthday, but Billy told me he has been in bed for a few days. Which sucks, of course, but he hasn't even left me a message. Maybe it was stupid, but it hurt. He was my best friend, and he couldn't deign to pick up the phone when I called? Even once? All I wanted to do was make sure he was okay.

I finally broke through today. After the second ring, Jake answered the phone. "Hello?" His voice cracked when he spoke, like he had not spoken for a while. I instantly felt guilty. And concerned.

"Jake," I said breathlessly. "Sorry. Did I wake you?"

"No, you're fine," he said, croaking.

"Do you feel any better?" I asked hopefully.

"Not really." His voice was unsure, reserved. I had never heard his voice so unsteady.

"I feel horrible. I should have made you stay home with me. This sucks." I felt miserable. He was sick because of me, no doubt.

"I'm glad I went. Don't blame yourself, Katie. This isn't your fault." His voice was still a whisper.

It was definitely my fault. "You'll get better soon, Jake. I was only sick for a couple of days."

Jake paused. "You were sick?"

"Yeah, but I'm better now. You'll probably recover in a day or two." And then, everything would go back to normal.

"I don't think I have what you did, Katie." His voice sounded pained, like it physically hurt to be talking to me. My heart broke a little more.

"Oh. What's wrong?" I asked, confused.

"Everything. Every part of me hurts," he whispered.

"I'll stop by later and drop off some—"

"No," he interrupted, voice suddenly hard. "You can't come here." He was abrupt, much more so than I was expecting.

"I've already been exposed to what you have, Jake. And it's not too far of a drive. I'll just—" I began to offer, but he cut me off again.

"I've got to go. I'll call you when you can come down again." He said, still sounding weary.

What was I supposed to say to that? "Okay." My voice sounded so quiet. It was strange to hear. "Call me when you feel better?"

Jake paused. "Okay." His voice was bitter and sharp. He fell silent. I was waiting for his goodbye, but he waited, too.

"Talk to you again soon?" My voice was childishly hopeful, despite all that he had said.

"Wait for me to call," he responded. "Bye, Katie." He whispered my name, then hung up the phone.