Epilogue: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 29th

KATIE'S POV
March 29th

I stand, leaning my hip against the countertop as I wait for the cookies to bake. For some reason, this fifteen minute stretch feels like it's the longest I've ever had to wait for anything. I'm practically drooling.

"Those smell good," Bella sighs, leaning her head back. It's close to the time when she'll retreat to bed and spend the last few hours of the weekend holed up in her room. And talking to Edward, I'd assume.

"Right?" I sigh in return, slumping onto my elbows as I stare at the oven impatiently. "Can't they bake any faster?"

She chuckles softly, shutting the book in her hands. "Who are you giving them to?"

"Who says I'm giving any away?" I grin mischievously, containing my laugh.

"Let me rephrase. Mind if I eat one?" Bella sits up straighter, clasping her hands together in front of her.

"I suppose," I agree, giving her a cheeky smile. I open my mouth to add, only one or two, but a knock on the door startles us both.

We eye each other warily. Suddenly, the familiar feeling creeps up on me.  It's a werewolf, not a vampire. I relax, pushing off the counter to walk towards the door.

"No guests!" Charlie shouts from the living room. "They're grounded!" He adds, loud enough that the person at the door can clearly hear him.

I hear a gruff laugh. "Not even for baseball?"

Charlie amends his decision. "Let Billy in," he calls to me, pausing the game on the TV.

I smile, reaching over to twist the door handle. When I open it, I see not just Billy, but Jake, too. "Hello Katie," Billy says brightly, gesturing for Jake to sneak past him and into the house. Go, he mouths. "Care to wheel me into the living room?"

"Tell Jacob to go home!" Charlie calls, and my eyes dart to him.

"I didn't let Jake get out of the car," Billy huffs back at Charlie, gesturing out the window. I peek out and see what appears to be Paul in the driver's seat, waving. "So, you'll need to give me a lift back."

"Deal," Charlie says, relieved at the sound of a car driving away, and I hear his footprints approaching. Jake sneaks up the stairs, turning down the hallway just as Charlie comes into view. "Hey, Billy. Ready to watch the first preseason Mariners game?"

"Hell yeah," Billy agrees, waving me off. "I got it from here."

"Ok," I agree. "I'll be upstairs. Let me know when the oven goes off."