13: Katie

KATIE'S POVFebruary 2nd

KATIE'S POV
February 2nd

We've started spending every day with Jake at the garage.

Well, I have, at least. Bella comes by when she's not busy with work and her other friends. I don't mind it, though. It's nice when Jake and I are alone. We can talk about things I can't with Bella.

"Blood typing, huh?" Jake asks, signaling for me to hand him a towel. I toss it at him— surprise, surprise, he has no trouble catching it.

"Yes," I growl, cradling my head. "I hate blood typing. I did it at my old school, too. The blood..." reminds me of my parents. "I'm not good with blood. Not anymore, at least."

Jacob catches where my mind has wandered to. I know he can tell by the way he's looking at me. "I'd skip class on Monday if I were you," he says, wiping oil and grease off his hands. "Doesn't seem worth it."

"Yeah, well, Charlie would kill me." I laugh, fidgeting with a loose string on my sweater. "And he's already gotten worked up trying to force me to go to this bonfire thing tonight, so asking for forgiveness isn't a great idea."

"Oh! I heard about that," Jake smiles, crossing the room to sit next to me. "The senior bonfire, right?"

I grimace. "Yeah."

Jake grabs my knee and shakes it gently. "So? Why don't you want to go?" His face is closer than I realized. Our breaths mingle in the air between us.

I turn my head away, looking back down at my hands. I wish he could know. "I don't know... I'm not interested pretending to enjoy awkward conversations with Bella's friends."

Out of the corner of my eye, I watch as Jacob nods slowly. "Can't you just hang out with Bella?"

I sigh. "Talking to Bella means talking to Bella's friends. They won't leave her alone lately. Not that I mind, it's just..." I can't seem to find the right words. How can I describe my lack of interest towards them? "None of them wanted anything to do with Bella after that night. I was there, trying to coax he back to life, and they didn't care. They only started caring about her when she was getting better. What kind of friend does that? I hate them for it."

Jacob squeezes my knee. I had nearly forgotten that his hand was still there. "Well... maybe you should just ditch. You can come here instead. I won't snitch on you."

I laugh. "Thanks for the offer, but Jessica's driving, and I'm not sure that'd work. But... you could come with me..."

Jacob snorts. "Katie..."