11: Katie

KATIE'S POVJanuary 20th

KATIE'S POV
January 20th

It was especially nice weather when I woke up on Monday, rubbing my eyes and shifting in bed. Lately, the lack of sleep had been catching up to me, even if Bella's nightmares weren't as frequent for the last two nights. For the past week or so, my eyes always feel impossibly heavy, begging to be shut most hours of the day. Every time I close my eyes for longer than a blink I practically fall asleep.

On the other hand, I was excited to go back to La Push today. Jacob promised all Bella and I would have to supply is conversation, although I already promised him I'd pay for any parts he needed to fix up my Dad's car. Bella was supposed to come over today, too, but she'd been guilted into helping fundraise with Lauren (cue internal groan), Angela, and Jessica.

All of the seniors had been busy with senior activities, actually— especially Mike. He kept rallying the group into planning more parties and hangouts, excessively overcompensating for the lack of support after the incident.

I resisted the urge to rub my eyes again as I crossed the hallway to my locker. I distractedly pushed the lock up as Angela began watching me struggle. It didn't budge. Must be jammed. I pushed at it with force, exhaling sharply and frowning when it didn't move again. Of course.

"Need help?" Mike laughed, crossing the hallway to where I was about to have a full-blown mental breakdown. "Here," he says, giving the lock a good push. I almost release a sigh of relief as it opens.

"Thanks," I say breathlessly, unable to muster enough energy to do anything else. I can feel Angela watching us from where she's stands, still attempting to mind her business.

Mike stands there, an hand rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "So, um, do you remember how we were going to see a movie a couple of months ago? I was... well, I was wondering if you still wanted to go see it."

I pull my biology book from its place, sorting through his proposal. "I'm fairly sure that movie isn't in theaters anymore."

He laughs at that, his entire head tilting with the sound. "I... I was just wondering if you still wanted to see a movie together. A different one."

No, I don't. "Like a date? I thought you were dating Jessica again."

He blushes sheepishly, looking around to make sure she wasn't near. "We broke up about a week ago. It didn't work out. But... it doesn't have to be a date if you don't want it to be. "

I nod slowly, trying to do this in a way that wouldn't hurt his feelings. "I'm not sure that's the best idea. You should ask everyone else if they want to come along."