33: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 23rd

KATIE'S POV
March 23rd

As school as the final bell rings, I fly out of the building and into the school parking lot, trying my best to avoid questions from the people I don't feel like talking to. Some of the people on this list include: Mike, who spent all lunch trying to get my attention, Jessica, who won't stop asking me about the Cullens, Eric, who's insistent on being my biology lab partner for the rest of the semester, and Lauren, who keeps asking for the juicy details of my spring break.

Edward and the rest of the Cullens coming back has been a huge talking point, because the drama spread quickly. While none of the details are exactly correct, the word is that Esme was not fond of the California weather. Carlisle had no problem getting his job back at the hospital. So, the kids were all re-enrolled into Forks High School. Yippee.

I was supposed to pretend like Bella and Edward had been talking for a little bit about him coming back; instead, I'd been ignoring and icing out everyone today. All this talk about the Cullens was driving me crazy. Especially after the other night's events. Any reminder that graduation was near meant that Bella would become a vampire soon.

"Hey, Katie," Mike calls, and I stop in my tracks. Great.

I turn to him, tugging down on the sleeves of my sweatshirt. I muster up all of my cordiality as I quickly reply, "What's up?"

"It's... I've been trying to talk to you all day. How was your spring break?" He asks, rubbing the back of his neck. He's nervous.

"It's been... fine." I look over my shoulder, scanning the parking lot for Jacob. "Sorry, but I'm a bit of a rush. Can we talk tomorrow?"

He looks startled. "You're not going to track practice today? We have a meet on Thursday, you know. Aren't you competing?"

I bite my lip. "Of course I am. I just... I have plans today. I'll be at practice tomorrow, though."

"Oh. Okay," Mike replies, a little dejectedly.

I just smile apologetically back at him and wave, starting to head towards the street, when Mike steps in front of me. "Do you have a boyfriend?" He asks abruptly.

I blink. "Yes. Why?" I thought he had finally given all of that up, after my birthday.

He sighs. "That's what I figured. Do I... know him?"

"Do you remember Jacob Black?" Clearly he does. I'm just hoping that'll get him to drop the subject so I can leave.

"Oh. You're dating him? Isn't he a bit... I don't know, young?" He looks upset, and no doubt it's because of the fights they've gotten into. "I don't think he's good news."