21: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 11th

KATIE'S POV
March 11th

For how often I had been to La Push, it was strange how nervous I had become. It could feel my hands trembling. Jacob reached across the center console and grabbed my hand, smoothing the back of it with his thumb.

In his mind, I saw that he was content. Happy. "Don't be nervous, Katie. None of them are going to say anything about Laurent."

"Did you tell them about... my weird mind thing?" I knew that if he had, all of them would look at me like I was crazy.

Jacob cringed. "I didn't really have a choice."

Oh. "Why? Did Sam make you tell him?" To me, I still couldn't stop comparing Sam to a villain, and I didn't know why.

"No, but... okay, Sam's the leader of the pack. Being in his pack, I have no choice to obey orders. That was why I couldn't tell you about... everything." He took a pause, looking over at me with a shy smile. "But... well, you know how you have a mind thing? So do we."

I laughed at the impossibility of everything. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "We have a pack mind. When I'm in wolf form, all of us share thoughts. It's embarrassing... to have no secrets like that."

I thought everything over. I began really, truly dreading seeing them. Because I couldn't muster the words out loud, I pushed the thought to him. They won't like me.

Jacob shook his head. "Wrong. Embry already loves you. And the rest will have no choice but to love you."

I shook my head. "They're going to look at me weird. I'm a freak of nature."

"And we aren't?" Jacob challenged, squeezing my hand. "Don't worry. I'm sure they won't even bring it up."

——————————

We met them in the woods, Jacob pulling me my hand. I scanned the forrest for the wolves, but they were nowhere to be seen. After a couple of moments my pulse quickened. I could feel them coming up from the left, and swiveled my head that direction.

Jacob smiled like it amused him. "Hey guys."

Embry quickened into a jog, beelining for me. He picked me up by the waist and spun me in the air. "Katie! I missed you!"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Hi, Embry."

"It's nice to see you again, Katelyn." Sam's voice seemed to echo against the trees. Despite my best effort, my laughter died. I felt nervous again.