19: Katie

KATIES POVMarch 10th

KATIES POV
March 10th

One of my favorite things about about Bella Swan is that she knows how to not ask questions. Not that she doesn't want to hear your answers— she just doesn't pry. It was a quality that was both fairly unique and also very reliable on days where I feel angry or upset. Today was clearly one of those days.

After leaving Jacob's, my head was spinning, my heart was pounding, and I felt sick. Nauseous, really. "Please pull over, I feel like I'm going to throw up," I squeak, my voice sounding hoarse from emotion.

She obliges, swerving to the side of the road and turning on my hazard lights. As soon as she kills the engine, Bella rushes to get out of the car.  I'm not sure what her intention is— hold back my hair, maybe? I think she trips on the way over, but I can't tell with my eyes squeezed shut. With my elbows on my knees, I crouch over and finally open my eyes.

I wait for it to come, but somehow, I don't throw up. I end up just swallowing my tears and propping myself back up. "Sorry," I choke out. My wet hair is dripping down, creating a puddle at my feet.

"It's okay," Bella says softly, frowning. She hesitates, like she's worried about what she's going to say. "It's just... do we need to involve Charlie?" Bella blurts, reddening slightly. She clearly doesn't like this idea, either, but I would also be worried about me if I was in her situation.

"No," I respond firmly. "He'd make it a big thing." I don't want to tear Billy and Charlie any farther than they already have been due to how I've been reacting.

"Is it?" Bella asks carefully. "A big thing, I mean?"

I want to say no, to shrug it off. But I can't force myself to fake it. "Nothing Charlie needs to know about. I... saw something, Bells."

"You mean...?" She waits for me to fill in the blanks, although I know if I didn't answer she'd leave it alone.

"He grabbed my hand!" I feel sick again, so I tip my head forward over my knees. "I couldn't help it." I raise my hands to cover my eyes, forcing myself to stop imagining everything I had seen.

Out of my peripheral vision, I see Bella's eyes go wide. She knew about my abnormalities and my restrictions. Holding someone's hand was like looking into a deep part of their soul and seeing the truth. And what I had seen in Jake, the boy who used to be my best friend and favorite mechanic was... something else. Something I hadn't seen before. It felt like a nightmare. "I really screwed up," I whispered to her, running a hand through my hair. "I should have stayed away."

She shook her head firmly. "No. Don't blame yourself for whatever you saw. It was unintentional. Besides, he owes you an explanation."

"He didn't give me one. Well, I suppose he did. I don't know," I voiced miserably. "Nothing about this makes sense."