7: Bella

BELLA'S POVSeptember 13th

BELLA'S POV
September 13th

Katie took in a sharp breath, as if whatever memory she was recalling pained her physically. I felt guilty that I didn't already know what she was going to say. That I didn't already know Mike Newton had asked her out. Maybe I'd been too wrapped up in Edward to notice what was happening in her life.

Edward squeezed my hand, pulling me closer to his side. While not exactly comfortable, I obliged, because being close to him was much better than the alternative. My heart skipped a beat in my chest. I knew Edward could feel it, because he turned to me, his bronze hair glinting under the lighting.

"Here goes nothing," Katie said, tightening her grip around herself. Her position, arms folded in front of her, emphasized that wherever she was about to say would not be easy to hear. Her legs, slim but muscular, were drawn up on the bench beside her. She was clearly a little underweight, something I had not thought over much before.

"Back in Portland, my friends and I snuck into a college party. It was there that I first met a guy named Johnathan. He..." she paused, shaking her head, "he was different than anyone I'd ever met. Something about him made the hair on my arms stand straight up. Back then, I had just pretended it was because I had felt the spark between us.

"Johnathan introduced himself to me, more polite than I had expected. Especially at a college party. I couldn't hear him, so I leaned in," Katie's eyes practically lit up with the memory. She continued, "He grabbed my hand, and a word kept ringing through my mind. It was like a warning bell. Vampire, vampire, vampire. It was... I had never met a vampire before. I didn't even know they existed. It was like my mind just knew what he was. I told him what happened, and he told me what he was. I thought he was joking."

Katie takes a moment to pause. I see the tears swimming in her eyes, fighting, but she doesn't try and wipe them away. "Extremely complicated story short, we started dating. It was nice, for a while. He helped me figure out what was happening to me. I figured out that have this... sense. It warns me when vampires are near. It gives me a sort of mental shield, which is probably why you can't see my future, Alice." Katie cleared her throat softly. "And it also allows me to push my thoughts into other peoples' heads. When a vampire grabs my hands, the opposite happens. I get a sense of absolute... truth. I can't really describe it."

The room is dead silent, listening to Katie. Emmett makes a comment about her, asking if she can push a thought to him. For a moment, nothing happens, but suddenly Emmett is doubling over with laughter. Rosalie, next to him, scowls, and Katie turns her focus to the blonde. Suddenly, Rosalie is smirking.

I know that night when Katie first met Edward, she pushed some sort of thought to him, but I hadn't realized it had anything to do with Katie. I thought it was just because of his ability.