26: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 17th

KATIE'S POV
March 17th

Despite all circumstances, after the funeral, I walked up to the front door smiling. Chuckling, actually. Really, it was a bit hysterical. Jacob and I were both still sad, of course, but he had made a comment about how this random guy's suit had looked and I just lost it.

"It was so... wrinkled. And so purple," He snorted, shaking his head.

"You're right," I say breathlessly through my laughter. "Worse than my freshman date to homecoming's."

That made us both chuckle harder. I leaned against Jake for support, squeezing my eyes shut against my laughter, and his chuckle was so lively that I was almost surprised.

After a moment of uninterrupted laughter, we both glanced at the door. I had no idea if Alice was still there or not, but the empty driveway told me that Charlie hadn't made it back yet.

"Is she alone?" I murmured, knowing he'd understand.

Jake narrowed his eyes slightly, focusing. "I can't tell. I think so. It doesn't smell as strongly as it did earlier."

"You're smelling the house? I thought you had, like, a sixth sense about this stuff." I raise an eyebrow.

He scoffs. "You literally have a sixth sense about this stuff, and you're blaming me for not being able to tell?"

I point to his chest. "My mind is already sensing that I'm next to a werewolf."

He looks around comically. "Oh really? Where?"

I punch his arm playfully, leaving his embrace to unlock the front door. "Bella?" I asked carefully as I stepped into the living room. My voice cracked slightly.

"Hey," she said, looking better for wear than she had earlier today. "How was the funeral?" She asked awkwardly, glancing between Jake and I.

"It was good. Is... Alice here?" I ask carefully. Jake is still hovering by the door, standing stiffly, as if on guard.

"Not at the moment. She had to run an errand," Bella lies, but I decide not to question her further.

"See! Told you. Her smell is less prominent." Jacob grins, taking a more confident step into the house and shutting the door behind him.

"Smell?" Bella questions.

"Vampires smell sweet. And icy. It hurts my nose. And... you both reek."