28. The door between us

Samantha's Pov-

"There you are. Woah, You're not good at running, are you?", He gave us a sinister smile. His eyes were lingering over me. What does he want from me?

"C'mon! Don't pay attention to him. We gotta go!", Alaric yelled, dragging me to the car but the sprain didn't let me walk properly and it was hurting like hell. I suppressed my grunt as I tried to walk. Alaric's grip over my arm was rather harsh, Even though I understand his concern.

"Alright, Leave her now." Said Kai as he started moving towards us. My heart started racing again. What if he kills Alaric? Then what's going to happen to me? "Samantha, Come to me now. It's alright.", Kai cooed, spreading his arms for me.

Alaric was beyond furious now. He tugged my arm forcefully to pull me away from him but instead, I couldn't maintain my balance and almost tripped over gravel until a pair of cold hands held me in their arms.

This was it.

That familiar touch that I was yearning for. Why don't I remember this touch? I looked at him who was currently smeared with his blood. He looked at me with a pleased smile as if there is no bloodbath around us– as if he lost himself– before Alaric broke the nearby wooden fence to make it a stake.

"Stay away from her. Leave her alone." He grumbled whilst pointing the wood in front of the vampire.

Kai made me stand properly before tilting his neck and seethed "You shouldn't have said that." He flickered his wrist which made Alaric fly back to the cars behind him. He fell with a loud thud and maybe got a concussion.

"Phesmatos–"

"No, wait!" I yelled, holding his hand involuntarily. It won't stop him from killing him. I'm dumb at this. Kai glanced at me and warned, "Stay back!"

Now, following my dumb intuition, I held his hand and tugged away from Alaric. "I'll ask him to leave. Please don't kill him. Please... ", I cried out of panic but stopped when I saw him do something. He slowly intertwined his hand with mine. His hands were soft but cold. Like it had been bitten by a frost.

"As you wish, Butterfly." He breathed, pulling my hand closer to his lips. It was strange. For about two months, I've been trying to figure out some blank spots in my mind, been finding the touch that I've been longing for and it feels like he seems to know all the answers I've been searching for. But it can't be.

As everyone said, he is manipulative. He is capable of bending every situation according to his convenience.

As soon as his lips touched my skin, an electrifying feeling surged in my veins. Almost, as if I touched the lightning itself. I quickly retracted my hand and footed one step back. His lips got into a straight line and his eyes narrowed at me for a moment before he faced Alaric and grumbled, "You heard her? Now leave!"

Alaric stood up, stumbling and maintaining his balance. He staggered towards me, holding his head, and breathed, "What are you doing?". He took a deep breath, enduring the pain he felt a few seconds ago as he continued, "He is dangerous, Samantha. You don't understand, you're making a mistake–"

"–Ric, please. You've already suffered enough." My eyes brimmed with tears. I can't let him die too. I won't step back, even if I'm getting to save a single life.

"I can't– " He started again but Kai stepped in front of me, glaring daggers at Alaric. "Do. as. she. said!", He growled with a dark look.

Why is Kai listening to me?

Alaric looked at me with concern. Pursing his lips, he took a deep breath. "Take care, Samantha." He muttered before he left.

Now, It was all him and me. He gave me a wide smile, holding my chin with his one hand as he gushed, "So, where were we?"