32. Date And Candles

After the day of getting my memory back, It felt like everything started to get back to its place. Or at least that's what I was supposed to think.

It was nice to have my memory back, to acknowledge that I liked him— in fact, loved him— I still do. But he did something unforgivable to some extent. I was supposed to be just like I was when we were still together but how could I ever ignore the fact that he annihilated many lives at his sister's wedding?

And how did he barely leave the house ever since I stayed here?

He must be thirsty for blood. How did he quench his thirst for something basic and important for vampires without leaving the house?

He was still paranoid enough to keep me from using my phone. He never let me use it because he thinks that, the second I'll get my phone, I'll call Damon for help.

Yes, Damon. How could I ever forget him? The one I trusted more than anyone in the whole of Mystic Falls. The one who compelled me and now my boyfriend is off the rails.

I once tried to go outside the house but Kai held me back. It was like he was hiding me from something. The way he held my arms as if someone will snatch me away from him any second. He always gets conscious whenever I lurk around the balcony. After a few days, he never even let me use the balcony too.

He would say, "If you want the sunlight then you can have it inside the house." At that moment, he sounded like an old conservative man who don't like his woman to be seen anywhere but I understood the concerns and fear underneath his words.

He was scared.

He would have these nightmares at midnight where he would toss and turn around, panting, with a thin layer of sweat coating him. The nights were tough on him. He never spoke about the nightmares with me but always held me closer to him after the terrible episode.

He would mumble in sleep "Take me with you.", "This is not right."

The last one always breaks my heart.

"Don't run away from me, Butterfly."

I was sitting on the floor, facing the warm sun which embraced me with wide arms. The curtains were wide open so that the sunlight could fill in the room even though Kai prefers the dark room. Sometimes, it's okay to lighten up.

"Ugh, Sam, you're dating a vampire now. Don't you know that we don't like sunlight?" Kai groaned dramatically. He passed by me and closed the curtains.

"Never the one to let me chill." I huffed before snuggling in his arms. He kissed my head before picking me up in his arms. I giggled as he held me in the air as if I was the baby.

The air beneath the blanket puffed out when we slumped on the bed together. He pulled me closer with a dazzling smile on his face. I let out a laugh when I felt his fingers ticklish on my waist.

He coddled me for a while on the bed before his phone buzzed in his pocket. I rested my head on his arms and stared at him as he took his phone out of his pocket and declined the call. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I asked, "Why didn't you take the call?"

"It's not that important." he shook his head and threw his phone behind, which hit the headboard and fell on the pillows. His other arm snaked around my waist and with a little force, I found myself crashing against his chest.

He didn't radiate normal heat as a human. It was different. He was genuinely cold.

"You're looking so beautiful in my clothes. You look like mine." he gave me an enthusiastic smile before leaning in to press a deep kiss on my lips. He almost took my breath when he gently cupped my cheeks and caressed them with his thumb.