17. Moose tracks

Stefan's Pov-

I coughed awkwardly before comprehending the news that we used to have a sister. Maybe my brother is way too drunk that he is making up things.

He must be angry plus drunk which is super confusing right now.

"Yeah Damon and our father bought us unicorns!", I retorted in a monotone that reeked of sarcasm. Damon's eyebrows crinkled in annoyance as he spoke, "You think I'm joking? I am drunk Stefan, I'm not dumb!"

"Fine, Go on!", I rolled my eyes and sighed. Maybe he is telling me the truth. As people say that a drunk person never tells lie. Or at least I've heard about it that way.

"In the 1800s, Before you were born, I used to have a sister when I was five. She was a really pretty baby with those baby blue eyes and her voice, especially her giggle is something that still echoes in my ear up to today.", He breathed out with a saddened smile.

I simply nodded before he continued, "Guess what? Her name was Samantha. Our mother named her, hoping that she will bring harmony to our family. But our father didn't let it happen... He always longed for another son. So one day, He decided to end the story of our beloved baby sister."

"No, He can't fall to that extreme," I mumbled in disbelief. I could see Damon's eyes brimmed with tears that he had been holding back.

He slowly sniffled as he spoke, "I was only five, and helpless. Our mother tried to save her and so did I but Giuseppe did it. He ended her life by poisoning her... And after that day, I never heard her voice again."

He lowered his head and added, "You know? When I heard about Samantha after such a long time and learned about her past, I took the oath to protect her at all costs. I would never let anything happen to her ever again... Not to her!".

I placed one hand on his arm and replied, "Indeed, Giuseppe was cruel! And our sister deserved better but, Samantha is not our sister. We are not her real brothers, Adrian is. No matter how much we try to be there for her but we can't make it to her like a family..."

"See, that's where you are wrong! I don't believe in this theory. It was you who told me that 'Family is not the people related with the blood but the people we care about'." Damon huffed and stood up.

"Fine Damon, But hear me out!"

"What?", There was an annoyance in his voice.

"Samantha is not a child. She is a responsible grown-up girl to make her own decisions and we can't object to it but we can make sure to watch over her." If Damon is so concerned about a girl other than Elena then who am I to stop him?

After all, His intentions were pure.

He nodded and wiped his uncried tears with a smile.

"Okay, No time to frown and all! Samantha's birthday is in two days and I want you both to make a truce!", I shrugged and patted Damon's shoulder.

"You remembered her birthday?", He raised his eyebrows in surprise. He really underestimates me a lot for memorizing dates. Classic Damon!

"Of course I did! I know everyone's in sequence." I bragged. And why not!?

"Impressive", he commented and paused for a bit before asking, "Do you really think that Kai likes her?"

That's the point! We don't know but honestly, I would like to know where it will go.

"That's the thing, brother, We don't know anything when it comes to stuff like this... But we can look after her." I assured him again.

Damon sighed and held his temple before mumbling, "I don't know what she saw in that guy!"