42. Infinity

Samantha's POV:

The bustling LA streets were a maze as Bonnie, Enzo, and I struggled to track down Kai. Enzo, with his vampire abilities, compelled information from strangers, leading us to the New Hollywood apartment. It's where Kai is living nowadays.

But before we could pay our visit to him, The LA sun guided us to a cute café, a perfect place for a break. The smell of coffee filled the air as we found a comfy spot. Bonnie, chose herbal tea, while Enzo, went for a fancy cappuccino.

Enzo grinned, taking a playful sip. "This coffee is almost as good as the company."

I rolled my eyes, teasing him, "Smooth talker, Enzo. You can charm anything, even your coffee."

Bonnie laughed, looking amused. "Enzo, save the charm for later. We're here for Kai, not your pick-up lines."

Enzo leaned back, pretending to be hurt. "And here I thought I could impress both."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Let's focus, people. We need to figure out how to find Kai, not Enzo's coffee conquests."

Enzo winked, unapologetic. "But my coffee conquests are legendary."

Bonnie smirked, sipping her tea. "Legendary or not, we have a job to do. Let's not get sidetracked by caffeinated charm."

As we bantered in the cozy café, the light-hearted exchange brought a bit of fun to our mission.

On our way, back to our mission, I saw how Enzo compelled the passerby to get the address and clues about Kai. I was aware of this power in vampires but I've rarely seen any of my friends doing it in front of me. It kinda weirded me out.

I eyed Enzo skeptically. "Mind control? Seriously, Enzo? Can we trust this?"

He smirked confidently. "Sam, it's a tried and tested method. I've been doing this for a century."

"Don't worry, Sam. Mind control or not, we better be ready for anything. It's Kai we're talking about." She chimed in with her evident skepticism.

Reaching the apartment heightened the tension. Bonnie confirmed Kai's presence, and as we entered the dimly lit corridor, the past memories played tricks on my emotions.

I was wondering if I made the right choice. I can still go back to Tennessee.

In the eerie quiet, Enzo halted on his steps and stretched his arms to stop us. I was about to ask why did he do that until he placed a finger on his lips, telling me to be quiet.

"I can smell blood here." He whispered. My eyes widened in shock. Bonnie and I got concerned by this news. Soon, as we walked by the strangely silent corridor, we stumbled upon a chilling scene.

Kai, with blood-stained hands and lips, stood over a fallen man, who was struggling for his breath. "Kai?" I whispered, a mix of shock and longing in my voice.

I never knew that I'd get to meet him like this.

His blue-grey eyes met mine. "Butterfly," he said, a strange blend of surprise and relief in his gaze.

Torn between fear and unresolved emotions, I took a hesitant step forward. "What are you doing?" My eyes started to get teary after looking at him after a very long time.

He's blond now. For a moment, I couldn't even recognize him.

Kai, wiping blood away, sighed. "It's complicated, Sam. Anyways, what are you doing here?" He noticed that I bought a company along with myself so he kept his guard up.