16. My return

The next morning, I woke up to the disturbance developed by Kai. He was in the kitchen making breakfast which clarifies the aroma of butter in the air.

As soon as I walked out of the room, rubbing my eyes. Kai chirped, "Good, You're up!". He walked toward me to peck my lips and held the dishes from the cabinet by my side.

I was stunned for a moment after he placed his lips on mine. I just couldn't process anything for a while but look at Kai who was hopping around me, in the kitchen.

"Good morning.", I finally managed to utter after coming out of the daze.
He grinned wide before he announced, "Pack your bags, Butterfly! We are going back to Mystic Falls. Can't let my girl miss her college, Can I?".

He was way more than happy or I say, Excited than he was before. Was this because we admitted our feelings to each other? Was he frowning all the time because of this? I simply nodded at what he said and turned on my heels towards the bedroom until I felt his hand on my wrist, pulling me back.

"Not now, Butterfly.", He whispered in my ear which made me shiver under him. I held his hand and muttered, "Fine, Just wait here for a while and I'll be back soon." He nodded and went back to the counter, giving me a glance with a smirk.

I entered the bathroom to freshen up until I saw my reflection in the mirror. I realized that I've changed a lot over the period. I wasn't the girl I used to be two years back. I wasn't the girl who used to hop around and laughs often anymore but something different.

++++

We were finally driving through the freeway and there were a few things that I acknowledged after 1 hour of driving.

Number one, His one hand was always on mine and hasn't moved for one hour.

Number two, I was feeling way too awkward all of a sudden because I wanted to move my hand from his. And I knew that he won't let me do that.

Stubborn much?

Number three, I had no idea, how I'm going to explain to my friends that I kissed Kai while he held me captive because I eventually realized that I has developed feelings for him.

Perfect!

"Is something bothering you?", He asked all of the sudden. I flinched at his voice and accidentally took my hand from him. His facial expression changed instantly and he went numb for a moment.

"No, why do you even say that?", I chuckled forcefully and also awkwardly.

"You were fidgeting your leg again.", He muttered before getting hold of my hand again. I just couldn't believe for a brief moment that someone could observe me so closely. Maybe I never paid attention to myself whenever I overthink.

He chuckled and pursed his lips as he spoke, "It's very easy to read you, Sam!"

"Really? I don't think so!", I asserted with a sheepish chuckle.

Kai grinned wide and mumbled, "You just don't wanna admit it, Butterfly.".

It made me smile wide. I just loved his company around me. It does make me a bit nervous but he never fails to make me laugh. We had a rough start but as I am getting to know him, I feel like I grew fond of him.

We turned up the radio and he mostly played 90s songs. It wasn't my music taste but finding him enjoying the music and singing along was amusing to me. He often glances at me with a smile and squeezes my hand a little for assurance.

It's been months since I smiled for real and it felt incredible.

We finally reached my apartment. He pulled over in the parking lot and halted for a while in the car. There was utter silence in the car. He looked at me again and professed, "We have arrived!". I simply nodded and held his hand.