Ch2 White Mana, P1

Chapter 2: White Mana (1)
~2.1~
*****

Not even an hour old and I'm being shown off. I suppose I should be less surprised by that and more impressed with my mother's quick recovery. So far, I know she has healing magic and probably transportation magic that she used to cover me with this blanket and dress herself.

In less than an hour, Layla had given birth to Kye, healed herself, used magic to dress, and was holding the newborn in front of a crowd. Kye had been born to the King of Nippon Sekai and a small group of people had been waiting for the delivery.

"Done already? You sure didn't pull your punches," a light purple-haired man said.

"Yes, well, some things you don't want to drag out, so..."

"Ah, well, I wouldn't know." The man turned his attention to Kye next. "Hello there, I'm your Uncle Jamie." Kye reached out to him as if responding. "Hey, she likes me. What's your name?"

"Her name is Kye."

"Akari, I assume?"

"Naturally."

I'm sensing quite a bit of power from this guy. Though, maybe it's not uncommon? A lot of people here have a decent amount of aether.

Kye wiggled a bit in Layla's arms, prompting the new mother to raise the girl up to see what was wrong. In that moment, Kye glanced around.

Some of them are trying to hide their mana signature, but I can read their aether. Can't hide what you can't control, eh? Oh, she's worried.

Kye looked at her mother, closed her eyes, and went, "Gah!"

"You're such a sweetie!" Layla exchanged happy grins with her daughter.

James smiled, watching his sister and niece. "Kid's got spunk."

My new mother has the strongest mana signature here and has already shown some abilities. Surely, she's noticed the ones trying to hide theirs.

"James, have you told her yet?" came a female voice from behind him.

"Allison. Introduce yourself." He gestured at the baby.

"Please forgive James for being overly familiar," she said to me with a warm smile. "I am Allison Barrett. Welcome to the world."

Something seems different about this one.

"Allison, she's a baby!" James said.

"And a royal."

She's in perfect control of her mana signature, like my mother and uncle, but her aether isn't wild like the others. She's controlling it. I didn't clock that a moment ago. Impressive, going under my radar like that even for a minute.

"You... are impossible."

Layla giggled, listening to the exchange.

Heh. She's good at introductions. I wonder which type of introduction is the norm here... James's or Allison's.

"Anyway, I'll shove off. There's a bunch of people waiting to meet the kiddo. Layla, by the way, we need to discuss something as soon as you're able. You free after the party?"

"Not exactly. How important is it?"

"Quite."

"Then I'll make time."

"Sounds good. I'll see you later." James shifted back into the crowd.

Allison stayed a moment and whispered something into Layla's ear. "I see, thank you," Layla replied.