Ch11: Honeymoon, P4

Chapter 11: Honeymoon (4)
~11.4~
*****

"How do you like it?" Hannah asked. "The food's great, huh? How are you enjoying the resort? Didja have fun last night?" She smirked with that last part.

"As a matter of fact, we did!" Alethea said proudly. Kye was taking a bite of waffle and froze. She was so shocked that her food fell back onto her plate. Michelle giggled, and Adele stared blankly at the pink-haired girl.

"Oh? I bet that room's a mess now. Four girls your age? HA! Didja break anything? Didja?!"

"Saya-chan!" Kye's face was solid red.

"Who's that?"

"Me!" Alethea said. "One of my past names is Sayaka Sakaguchi."

"OH, the reincarnation plot! Tell me more!"

"Well, Kye is Shiori Sakaguchi, the undefeated legend and the world leader who took down the tyrant Emperor Shiro Shikigami."

"That sounds like a fascinating tale."

"It has a bad ending..." Kye said with a frown. "I..." She looked at Alethea. "Go ahead and tell them. I'll step out. I don't even want to hear that part of the story."

"We could just... not talk about it," said Alethea. Hannah narrowed her eyes.

"I don't want to hide it either."

Alethea nodded, and Kye created a solid barrier around herself and her food. Alethea told the story, including what happened after her own death.

"Your daughter, Suzuka, grew hateful and everything just... fell apart. That's... I'm so sorry." Hannah jumped up, broke into Kye's barrier, expanded it, and pulled her into a hug. "Sweetie, I'm so sorry you went through that. I wish I could've been there for you, but I'm here now. Did you ever cry?"

"What? Huh?"

Hannah pulled away and looked Kye in the eyes. "Did you ever cry after it happened?"

Kye averted her eyes. "No."

"Look at me, sweetie. I don't care if you're some ancient champion that reincarnates all over the place for the goddess, an immortal from Athas, or the most powerful soul in all the worlds. Right now, and forevermore, you are my granddaughter and I love you very much. How have you survived all this time without crying?"

"I didn't carry past memories into most of my lives. So, it wasn't as bad. I only had a feeling of sadness, rather than memories of it. Besides, I don't deserve to cry."

"Of course you do. More than anyone, YOU do. I can't even describe how much bravery it must have taken for you to do what you did. I can't think of a single thing more difficult than that. Even now, I can see it in your eyes. You loved your daughter with everything you had. Any parent deserves to cry after what you did. Let it out, sweetie, I'm here for you."

"No."

Hannah was surprised not at Kye's refusal, but at the serious look in her eyes. "Wh-"

"I will not. Not until I have brought her into this world and made good on my promise to her. Only then, if she forgives me, will I cry."

Hannah smiled at Kye's dedication. "Very well. I support you. But I think we have much to talk about."

Kye raised an eyebrow.

"You carry so much pain with you. Let me help you with it. Just talking about it can help quite a bit, and perhaps we can slowly work through it."

Kye smiled lightly. "I appreciate the thought, but my life's story is not something one can cover in an afternoon, or even a few years."