05

"Ready when you are, kiddo

"Ready when you are, kiddo."
—————————

"'Mione, I need your help. Badly." I groaned as I entered my room. She removed the book from in front of her face and looked at me with a blank expression. "You need to help me get over Harry. It's bad, and I don't want to do it anymore. Play this game with him, I mean." I told her frantically while I shut my bedroom door.

"Oh, so now you want to listen to me about that." She ridiculed me, and I nodded my head slowly while I gave her pleading eyes.

"I really thought I was over it this summer, but then he came here, and it felt like old times again, but I don't think that things will ever actually go back to the way they used to be, so I need your help. I think I should find a new boyfriend this year." I rambled out quickly as I sat down on the edge of my bed next to her.

"Is that truly what you want? Or am I going to agree to help you keep your head on straight, and you'll just continue to unscrew it for Harry?" She asked me seriously as she raised her brows.

"Believe me, it's what I want." I nodded my head and looked at her frantically. I started to play with my fingers in my lap, and I felt nervous as I thought about giving up on Harry. "He doesn't like me anymore, and I worry the longer I let myself get caught up in a web with him, the worse it is going to feel when I am stuck and he accidentally hurts my feelings." I huffed. I tucked a few loose strands of my hair behind my ears, and I heard Hermione let out a few chuckles next to me. "What?" I asked her as she laughed a little harder.

"You think that Harry doesn't like you anymore?" She giggled, and I nodded my head.

"He thought I was asleep last night, and he told the other boys that he didn't ever see us getting back together. He also told me he thought we were better off as friends because we haven't been fighting with each other as much as we used to." I told her softly, and I looked back down at my hands. "I guess part of me deep down thought that when we moved on from our fighting, we'd, I don't know." I sighed and laid back on my bed.

"You thought he'd want to date you again." She finished the sentence for me, and I looked at her with troubled eyes and nodded my head. "Are you completely blind or are you just really stupid?" She asked me seriously, and I sat back up off of the bed to face her again.

"What?"

"He so obviously still likes you, you'd have to be one of those two options not to see it!"

"He does not! He has made up his mind, and he has made it quite clear to me within the last couple months."

"Oh, come on, Ruby!" She laughed as she stood from my bed. "I promise you he still likes you. The only people who don't think that he likes you are... well, you and him." She laughed a little harder while she fiddled with a soccer ball on my floor with her feet.