46

"What if we need time apart from each other?"—————————

—————————

"Let me in, Rubes." Harry's soft voice whispered next to my ear as I curled myself up in a ball in McGonagall's office. "Please. Let me in." He begged quietly. His hand softly grazed my leg with one of his knuckles, making me flinch back. "Shhh. Just let me in. It's just me. I'll make it better." He tried again.

"I hurt you." I croaked out, my tears slowly drying now that I had cried for far too long. "I hurt you, and I can't-"

"You didn't mean-"

"That's the problem, Harry. I didn't mean to. I didn't have any control. I can't handle not having control of it." I shook my head and took a deep, shaky breath. "I could've killed you. I could've killed Malfoy. Or Fred. Or George." My breathing hitched along with my words.

"Ruby, I'm fine. Honestly. I wouldn't lie to you about this when I can see how upset you are. Everyone is fine." He pleaded quietly. His voice blended in with the others in the room— the ones having a debate on what to do with my psychotic brain next— but his voice was still so familiar and stuck out to my ears.

"I'm not good enough for you." I lifted my head and looked into his haunted green eyes. I could see the exact moment the hurt crossed his face and he shook his head.

"No, Ruby. We aren't doing this. We aren't." He argued in a whisper. "All those times you try getting through to me when something is wrong and I keep you out to try and protect you? And it frustrates you when it doesn't work? I promise to never do it again if you let me in right now to help you. Talk to me, but do not shut me out."

He was the person I loved the most in the entire world, but I could hardly look him in the eye without nausea rolling over me.

What kind of girlfriend would I be if I sat here and claimed to love him if I was the one that always ended up hurting him?

"Harry, I think you should go. Leave me here with my dad and go back to the common room." I said softly, looking down at my fingers as the words left my mouth. If I looked at him any longer, I knew I'd give in to the selfish pain of the guilt in my stomach, but I couldn't do that.

"Ruby, don't do this. Let me stay with you. We always stick together. Me and you." His hand reached out for both of mine, but I pulled them back.

"Get checked out by Madam Pomfrey. Go to the common room. I don't care. Just get away from me." I said bluntly. He lingered behind for a moment before he straightened up and walked away, the door clicking shut softly behind his absence.

"Hey, babe." My dad's light voice finally greeted me now that Harry had left me alone. "Everything's going to be fine." His thumb wiped my lingering tears away, and the floodgates opened once more.

"I hurt him." I cried, more tears flowing as my eyes pinched shut with my sob. "I'm just going to k-keep- I'm just going to hurt people." I threw my arms around his neck and let him move me across the floor to hold me. "I hurt Harry-"