36

"Who knows— maybe I'll be dogging your girlfriend-"—————————

—————————

"Well, I had hoped by now you'd have gotten your shots to get rid of fleas and ticks, but it seems you still have a bugger clinging on to you." Malfoy sneered in disgust as he looked at Harry.

"I'd have hoped by now your parents would've grown tired of you and shipped you off to Ireland to spare all of us, but I guess neither of us have such luck." I clicked my tongue, and enjoyed the narrowing of Malfoy's eyes as he looked back at me challengingly.

"We've been over this conversation before. You'd miss me too much if I were gone, darling. Don't speak so soon." He said darkly. I held his strong eye contact while everyone else remained quiet. "Maybe I'll put you in detention so you can learn some manners. I can think of an awful lot of things you and I could do in a locked classroom together. Your legs look exquisite in that skirt by the way." He smirked at me once more, his idiot friends laughing like oafs behind him. Harry's palm flattened across my thigh like he was marking what belonged to him.

"You sure hit the nail right on the head with the awful part." I had yet to back down. He shoved his ring covered hands into his pockets.

"You forget how much I adore your sassy voice, my love-"

"What do you need?" Harry finally asked aggressively.

"Watch it, Orphan. You see, unlike you, I'm a prefect now, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out punishments— which also means that you, unlike my precious Ruby, will have a detention so unbearable-"

"I'm not your anything, and if you call him an orphan again, I swear to fucking God-" Harry wrapped his arms around me tighter, and pressed his lips against my cheek, soothing me and basking in the jealousy that Malfoy showed.

"Yeah. But you, unlike me, are a git— and you, unlike me, have never had Ruby wanting you so badly that she-"

"At least I'm not second best to Weasley! How's that feel, Potter?" Malfoy's lip curled as Harry dug under his skin. Harry had really found something that bothered Draco now. Harry was always one step ahead in everything Draco found himself wanting without even trying— and I had been one of those prizes for too long now, despite my Muggle mother.

"Shut up, Malfoy." Hermione said sharply. His smirk returned as he looked at my angry, bushy haired best friend.

"Seems I've struck a nerve with the Mudblood. Well, I suggest you watch yourself, Potter. I'll be dogging your footsteps in case you step out of line." Harry's face flushed from the comment. "Who knows— maybe I'll be dogging your girlfriend-"

"Get out!" I shouted at him, pushing myself from Harry's lap and shoving the boy into the hallway. His face twisted when he realized I was the one he had worked up, but he still retreated silently down the hall with his bimbos while I slammed the door shut. I returned to Harry's lap and hid my face in the side of his warm neck. His arms wrapped around me protectively, and he trailed his fingers up and down the bumps of my spine.