08

"We're out in a field in the middle of England, no parents breathing down our necks, and I have two bottles of fire whiskey in my coat right now

"We're out in a field in the middle of England, no parents breathing down our necks, and I have two bottles of fire whiskey in my coat right now."
—————————

"I suppose this is where we have to part ways." I sighed while I looked at my friends who stood right in front of me. Harry's hand slipped from mine, and I tried not to feel too upset about the loss of contact. "I'm sure I'll see you guys soon. If not, the Hogwart's Express it is." I smiled, and they all looked at me with sad eyes. "Oh, come on! It's just a few days! We'd gone months without each other before this week!" I waved a dismissive hand at the three of them and Hermione kicked up some dirt with her sneaker.

"Wish you could come stay with us. But your tent is so far away, and your dad would be alone, and believe me that would make me feel horrible." She nodded her head over at my dad who was laughing with the twins as they showed off their collection of winnings from their gambling, and Arthur begged them not to tell their mother.

"Honestly Hermione, your crush on my dad gets more and more inappropriate as the years go on." I teased her, and her cheeks turned almost a shade of purple. "It's okay. Like I said— just a few days." I wrapped my arm over her shoulder and she hugged me back immediately. "I'm so glad I got to come! I had so much fun with you guys!" I chirped, and Ron pulled me away from Hermione and hugged me in a chokehold.

"Ruby, I am going to miss you so much!" He choked out like he'd burst into tears at any second, and Harry hit him on the back to get his attention.

"Mate, it's not like she's being sent away. You're overreacting." Harry poked fun at him, and I chuckled as Ron refused to unlink his arms from around my neck. It was funny at first, until I had broke out into a coughing fit because he simply would not let go and just kept squeezing tighter.

"Can't- breathe-" I whispered, and Harry finally ripped Ron's grasp away. Ron blinked a few times and scratched his neck. He cleared his throat once, and opened his mouth to try and explain, but his embarrassment was getting the best of him.

"I think the Veela's really did something to me..." He said in a bit of a panic. Harry laughed loudly at his friend while I let out a few more coughs and rubbed my throat. "Well, sis, I'll see you when I see you. Stay safe. No trouble. Um- do your chores." Ron started to list off a number of things to parent me on, and I joined in the laughter at his expense. "What? I am trying to do my part as an older brother here!" He defended himself.

"You are the most bizarre person I think I've ever come to know." Hermione said slowly as she looked at him out of the corner of her eyes. He crinkled his nose and mocked her as he usually did, and I knew all too well that she was pretending she didn't enjoy the attention he always gives her.

"Bye, Rubes. I'm glad I ended up getting to spend the night with you. I had fun." Harry ignored the other two before he wrapped his familiar arms around my neck carefully. I patted his back a few times before I pulled away and gave him a friendly smile. I didn't feel like I had days ago, I actually felt better now. I started to gain more hope that things would continue to work in my favor this year at school.