when your cat passes away (requested)

You walked through the front door of your house with Lisa following behind you.

Her hand rested on the small of your back as she guided you up the stairs, knowing that they were hard for you to see through the blur of your tears.

When you reached your bedroom, you collapsed onto the bed and laid your cheek on your pillow as you held your cat's favorite toy in your hands.

Today has been the hardest day of your life.

Your cat passed away.

Letting them go was the most painful choice you'd ever made and you can't help the tears that just continuously fall from your eyes as your heart aches unbearably.

You felt the bed shift slightly as Lisa laid down and curled up behind you.

Having so many cats of her own that she absolutely adores, she can't even begin to imagine the pain that you're in right now.

"You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. We can just lay here. But just know that if you need to talk, I'm right here to listen."

Her words made more tears fall from your eyes.

They were so gentle and sweet and you needed to hear them through the pain that you felt.

"It hurts." You sniffled. "My heart hurts."

"I know it does, baby." She whispered as she pulled you closer.

"I knew that the day would come eventually but it hurts so much." You cried. "He was my life. He was with me through everything. I loved him so much."

"I know you did, my love. He loved you too." She said as she brushed her fingers across your side.

You cried harder and Lisa just held you tightly as you fell apart in her embrace.

She didn't know what to do or say to try and make you feel better.

All she knew she could do was hold you in her arms, hoping that the warmth and comfort would be enough to heal your broken heart at least just a tiny bit.

"He's not that far away." She whispered. "He's always going to be in your heart. I bet he's watching over you right now."

You sniffled as she kissed your shoulder softly.

Losing your cat made you feel as though you lost part of yourself, too.

"At least he's not suffering anymore."

You nodded, finding peace in that part of the loss.

"It's okay to feel everything that you're feeling right now. It's okay that you feel lost and as though a part of you went with him. But always remember that he'll live on in your heart and no one can take that away from you."

You cried as you turned over and buried your face in her shirt, sobbing into it.

"I know I can't make it better and that time is going to be the only thing that can help heal your heart but always remember that I'm here for you. I'll hold you as you cry, whenever that is."

You looked at her and leaned into her touch as she wiped your tears away.

"I just don't ever want to forget him. He's the best thing to ever happen to me. I love him."

"I know you do, baby. I promise you won't forget him. I won't let you." She promised. "He's always going to be with you. Safe inside your heart. I promise you that."

You laid your head on her chest and let the tears fall, knowing that you were safe as you did so.

You knew it was going to be a long road ahead of healing from the loss, as it has absolutely shattered your heart.

You know things won't be the same and that there will be a lot of hard, sad days.

But you tried to remember that he was in a better place and that he wasn't hurting anymore, hoping that would help heal your heart slightly.

And you knew that through it all, through all the bad days and the breakdowns that you'll have, you'll always have Lisa to lean on.

And that's what you really needed through this.