31: Chunin Exams (3): Hyuga VS. Hyuga

Chapter 31: Chunin Exams (3): Hyuga VS. Hyuga.
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

Woooosh— thud. thud. thud.

The blue sky turns ash grey as clouds of gloom creep over and block the yellow sun. The forest was free from the chirping of birds and the crawling of insects, its tranquility only destroyed by three figures madly hopping from tree branch to tree branch

The figures leave behind a blurry shadow, leaves dancing where they land.

The trio kept jumping for another ten breaths before one of them opened their mouth. He was the one at the back of the group, watching silently as his teammates hop from tree to tree with rigid faces.

"Ken. Akemi. Why don't we follow behind Konoha's team?"

Hiroko suggested, anticipating the shaking heads of his teammates. The suggestion was wrong no matter from which angle you look at it. The two teams splitting up was the best choice, as it forces the enemy to pick one team.

And judging from the events, the enemy was likely to pursue Konoha's team.

The issue was, that logic wouldn't work on someone like Orochimaru.

As expected, Ken and Akemi looked at him with weird expressions. "No... ah, Hiroko!"

Hiroko already knows that Ken and Akemi would refuse, so he didn't bother waiting for their reply before turning around and chasing after team seven's group.

Team Seven was in a similar dilemma as team Hiroko. The only difference was they didn't have the freedom of choice.

"Sasuke, I think that man from the land of grass followed us," Benjiro said, his face turning a little white.

Sasuke's and Sakura's faces were the same, turning into sheets of paper. Sakura kept her mouth shut, but Sasuke didn't have the same patience and cursed loudly, "What bad luck! Why is he targeting us, anyway?!"

Sakura's eyes turned a little dim at Sasuke's doubts, and she stared at Sasuke's eyes before turning away. Then, she suggested, "Let's stick close to the tower at the center of the forest. That way, he'll hesitate whether to attack us."

Hearing her, Benjiro lifted his chin in thought before nodding, "It's a good idea. What do you think?"

"Okay, let's go to the tower!"

Sasuke had no better idea, so he agreed. But when they were about to change direction and head to the tower, a person emerged from the ground, tackling the surprised Sasuke in a flash.

"UGH!"

"My, my. Naughty genins trying to make trouble. If I didn't come fast enough, the fish would've slipped through the net," the man chuckled while looking at the struggling black-haired genin beneath him.

"Tsk, damn it," Benjiro spat, "Are you Orochimaru?!"

Seeing his teammate being restrained on the ground, Benjiro barely pulled the brakes, silently taking out four kunai, two in each hand. Sakura did the same, but she only took out one kunai and gripped it tightly with her right hand.

She was learning medical ninjutsu, so her priority wasn't to fight, but rather to heal any of her teammates should they get hurt.

"No, of course not. Why would you believe some random words that a genin throws...?"