61: The Mizukage

Chapter 61: The Mizukage

Arc: Kirigakure's Civil War

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto, please support the original work.

"There are enemy ninjas in the village?"

The Mizukage asked, his eyebrow raised as a frown formed on his face.

"Yes, lord Mizukage. They say that the jinchuriki of the nine tails is here."

The ninja kneeling in front of the Mizukage said. As to how they knew it was the nine tails? The mist ninja didn't know either. However, the Mizukage seemed to not care and spoke in a nonchalant tone.

"Find them and kill them. By tomorrow, I want no foreign people in my village."

The ninja's eyes twitched. If the report was true, they were tasked to kill the nine tails' jinchuriki. The nine tails' jinchuriki. Of course, he didn't show his irritation and merely bowed.

"Understood, sir."

After making sure that he was free to go, the ninja turned around and opened the door.

"Wait."

But when he heard the Mizukage's voice behind him, he nearly cursed. Ever since the blood mist policy was enacted, the Mizukage's temper was getting worse and worse. It was to the point that he would kill anyone just because they looked wrong in his eyes.

Heart apprehensive, the ninja turned around to face his Mizukage. He was loyal, but if he was going to die for nothing, then his loyalty would shatter like glass.

"Forget the order. I'll go there myself and kill him."

"Y-yes sir!"

The ninja heaved a sigh of relief after hearing his leader. Thankfully, the Mizukage wasn't yet out of his mind. The ninja waited until the Mizukage got into his battle armor and followed behind the Mizukage as he headed to the battlefield.

"I sense Zabuza. Your report was incomplete."

"Sir."

The Mizukage's voice was so calm and serene, that the ninja nodded in acknowledgment, not realizing what the Mizukage was implying. When the Mizukage stopped to look at him, he also stopped. Only then did he realize what was happening.

"Sir, I—"

BANG! SPLATTER...

"Hmph. Incompetent."

The Mizukage's eyes were dull and cold as he watched the guts of the ninja spill to the floor. The ninja now had a hole in his stomach. The addition was made possible thanks to his staff. A few seconds later, the Mizukage lost interest and kept walking, leaving behind the corpse.

'I'm nearly out.'

After leaving behind the clone to distract whoever was inside that forest, Naruto ran as fast as he could to leave the forest. He wasn't going in a straight line, but rather on a complicated left and right that even he couldn't make head and tails out of.

'It's foolish to lead your enemy straight to your house.'

Having that thought, Naruto turned sharply to the left. By doing so, he would leave the forest a few seconds later, but he didn't mind.

He could hear several footsteps everywhere around him, and he was sure that if he had continued going forward, he would've run straight to a ninja wall.