67: Against Mei Terumi

Chapter 67: Against Mei Terumi

Arc: Kirigakure's Civil War

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto, please support the original work.

The wind blew and along with it came the gloomy, cold, and damp air of Kirigakure. The air reeked of blood and it stung one's skin as it carried slight bits of residual chakra.

In this field of unrest, three figures stood. Two were on a team, while one of them was alone as she faced off the latter. She was wearing a long blue dress that went just below her knees and her hair a spiky auburn, reaching all the way behind her hips. Her hair flowed like a slumbering dragon amidst the eerie mist, and she stared at her opponent with her vibrant green eyes.

In front of her was Zabuza, and he closed his eyes as he took a deep breath.

SIIII—

With the breath he took, he inhaled the moist air as his chakra cheered in excitement, preparing themselves to perform a familiar jutsu.

When Zabuza opened his eyes again, his chakra silently invaded the air and the mist around them thickened.

Mei Terumi, the woman opposite Zabuza, narrowed her eyes when she saw the mist engulfing Zabuza and her. She also saw the boy beside Zabuza vanish in the mist and although she could hear the boy's footsteps, she couldn't sense his chakra.

The same went for when she tried to sense Zabuza's chakra.

"Water Release: Hiding in Mist Jutsu," Zabuza said and his voice echoed throughout the mist. Mei couldn't even tell if Zabuza's voice came from in front, behind, or to her sides. She even felt inclined to look up, though she knew that it was redundant.

"As expected of Zabuza Momochi, Demon of the Mist and an expert of Silent Killing, as well as Hiding in Mist Jutsu," Mei applauded with a smile etched on her face. She waited, yet she didn't get a reply from her "talking partner."

"How rude. Don't you know how to be a gentleman? The first rule is to never leave a woman hanging," Mei clicked her tongue. Despite this, she discreetly canceled her kekkei genkai, which she readied on the occasion the Zabuza was brave enough to speak out.

With Zabuza remaining hidden, Mei could only look for another opportunity. She was a ninja who focused on destruction. Her kekkei genkai said it all.

"Boil Release," and "Lava Release."

"Hmm," Mei hummed as she looked around. Then, she stretched her chakra and tried to penetrate the mist. Her chakra penetrated the chakra-laced mist like a hot knife through butter, but she still has to search for her target like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Just as she was busy trying to locate Zabuza, a massive blade silently appeared above her head, quickly falling down to try and split her in half. Suddenly, Mei smiled and her chakra roared into action. "Boil Release: Acid Mist Jutsu," Mei said as she looked up and spat a stream of white mist through her mouth.

The Kubikiribocho, which was descending like a boulder, suddenly halted and before the white mist could lick its blade, Zabuza lifted it and jumped back. Mei looked back, her smile thickening as she saw Zabuza's faint figure slowly disappearing.

"You are silent in your steps, but I react faster than you can strike. I wonder who will win in the end, Zabuza," Mei taunted and licked her lips. "That was a close one. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be," she added.

WOOSH! WOOSH! WOOSH!

Suddenly, Mei heard something behind her as she leisurely turned to her back. When she saw dozens of ice needles rushing toward her, she smiled and crossed her arms. "It's sad," she said as the needles came closer to her, though they never met their mark.