Chapter 15

Darius:

Reaching the car, I open the passenger's side door and set her onto the seat, holding her head upright while I adjust her seat better.

Once she seems to be in a comfortable position, I grab her seatbelt, clicking it into its socket. Then, I close the door and get in myself, putting her bag by her feet.

I grip the steering wheel tight, revving the engine and driving to her house for the second time tonight.

I can't help but notice the significant amount of pressure that's left my conscience between the times of not knowing where she was and having her soundly next to me in my car.

What the hell is that about?

I mean, sure, I'm glad she's safe and all but why is the relief i'm feeling more intense that it should be?

She's nothing more than my partner for a stupid school project. Who I'll hopefully get to fuck once or twice before it's end.

So why do I feel like I've just been given oxygen after being underwater for way too long?

Holy shit. Am I becoming a good person?

Is this what fucking hanging out with her has turned me into?

Jesse Christ. Now that I think about it, I haven't done anything particularly cruel since our first meeting together.

Then again, I did just feel a little thrill at the thought of fucking up an asshole who deserves it.

So, I'm not entirely gone.

Perhaps this was just a one off.

I was in a good mood about winning the game and when you really think about it, this didn't take that much time. Besides, I can't ace this class if my partner is holed up in some psychopath's house somewhere.

My screen lights and alters, displaying new messages.

Madden
Hurry the hell up.

Oak's talking about the fucking blood ritual again.

Also, are your knives in the same place?

I think I'll keep him on the opposite side of the room.

What is it with his fixation with this ritual?

None of us even know where he got it from.

Not even Angel.

And those two are just as insane as each other.

Me
Be there soon.

And yes, they're in the same place.

Curving around her driveway, I release the pedal and kill the engine, leaning back into my seat.

I give the wheel one last squeeze and then loosen my grip, rolling my head sideways to look at her sleeping form.

I sigh, leaning over to grab her bag and putting it over my shoulder before exiting the vehicle and rounding the front to get to her.

I repeat my earlier actions, lifting her up bridal style and heading to the front entrance.

The door opens before I reach it, as usual, and the same maid from before sags in relief when she sees Donatella.

"Is she alright?" She asks and I nod.

"She's fine. Excuse me." I walk past her and she stumbles out of my way.

"Um, sir?-"

"I'll take her up myself."!I drawl.