Chapter 18

Donatella:

I missed this morning's English class because my mom insisted that we spend it at the spa, instead.

To rejuvenate me. She said.

Not that I was complaining, though. Who am I to turn down the spa? Not to mention, we have the best Thai massage therapists ever. I feel sore but also more relaxed at the same time.

Besides, I haven't spent much time with her, lately and girls' day is our favourite activity.

"You promise you're feeling better?" She asks.

"Promise." I nod.

"You don't haven't to go in. You've already missed the morning. Come home with me."

Shaking my head, I cover her hand that she placed onto my knee. "I've already missed a lot. I don't want to have to catch up."

"Ay." She waves. "You're clever. You don't need to catch up."

"Mẹ." (Mom)

"Okay. Okay. Fine. You go." She puts her hand to my cheek. "I'll have something delicious at home when you get back, Hm?"

"Cảm ơn." (Thank you)

"không làm tổn thương đầu của bạn. Anh Yêu Em." (Don't hurt your head. I love you)

"Mmm." Anh Hoàng opens my door and I pick up my bag. "tôi cũng yêu bạn." (I love you, too)

It's around the end of lunch now so the halls are loud as people travel to wherever their next classes are, laughing about conversations they had during the break.

I make my way to my locker and by the time I reach it, there aren't many people around.

I open it up, taking a look at myself in the mirror and smiling at my no longer tired expression. I eye the hair pins on the top shelf and pick out a gold butterfly with little diamonds on the wings, clipping it to my hair.

I then take out my math notebook and shut the locker, turning around, only to jump back on a shocked scream, causing me to drop my book, hit my locker and also hit my head onto it.

"Ow." I touch my hand to the spot that's now slightly throbbing.

"Sorry." Darius takes a step closer and also touches that spot. "I didn't mean to scare you." 

"It's okay." My eyes travel up to his arm that's hovering over my head and then to his own.

"Does it hurt?"

"It'll be okay."

He blinks and then lets his hand fall to his side.

"Did you only just get in?"

I nod. "I spent the morning with my mom."

"Feeling better?"

"Mhm."

"So I can expect you at the cafe?"

"Yes. I promise. And I'll make up for the time I haven't worked on the project."

The corners of his mouth tip up. "Will you?"

"I will."

"Hm." He tilts his head.

"Are you not going to class?" I wonder.

"Maybe I will. Maybe I won't." He shrugs. "I'll make up my mind at some point."

"Are you not worried about getting in trouble?"

His smile is full now. "Worried about me, little ballerina?"