Chapter 57

Donatella:

When we arrive, Darius helps me out of the car and then leads us up to the door, through it and towards the noise of voices that become audible after a few minutes of walking.

We end up in a large living room, which also kind of appears like a game room. There's a tv and sofas like there is a usual living room but then there's things strewn around quite randomly, too. A pool table at the very rear end of the space, a mini-golf set up on the left side and a four flavour slushy making machine against the right wall. I guess it's more of an entertainment room rather than a living room, then.

Everyone is sat on the couches. And at the sound of the door opening due to our arrival, all heads turn to us, conversations ceased.

"Well, hello there, Pinky Pie." Angel lifts his hand in a wave. "Has Dare here given you a tour yet? Is my Mojo Dojo Casa House up to your liking?"

"Did you just quote Barbie?" Madelaina, Luca's girlfriend, asks him.

"Uh, no. I quoted Ken. Honestly, Princess, you'd think you'd know that."

She rolls her eyes, shaking her head and muttering something under her breath that has her boyfriend smirking. She turns to us. "Hey. It's nice to see you again."

"You, too." I smile.

Darius places a hand on my back and leads me around to sit down. I take a seat on an unoccupied sofa, the one opposite to Madelaina, Lucas and Oakley. He sits next to me, laying an arm over the back of the cushions behind me.

"Where's Thea?" He aims his question at Angel, who lounges on the sofa in front of the two others.

"She's sleeping. Had an exam today and wanted to take a nap when we got here."

"You didn't want to join her?"

"I did. Then I woke up. And then some random people just showed up at my house. I let them in. Stranger Danger bullshit be damned and they made themselves right at home."

"Fuck off." Lucas rolls his eyes.

I've noticed that he and Madelaina do that a lot. Sometimes they even do it at the same time. It's oddly endearing.

"Watch it." Angel points at him. "Or next time I won't let you in."

"I'm not afraid to damage property." Luca drawls. "I'll get in either way."

"How terribly criminal of you. I hope your perfectly coordinated wardrobe gets damaged in the process."

That earns him a withering glare.

"Donatella." Madelaina addresses me, no doubt trying to cease the boys' constant bickering. "I love what you've done with your hair. It's so pretty."

I glance up even though I can't even see my own head, then turn my smile on her. My actual hair is the same, plain and straight, but I braided strands near the front of my hair and added pink ribbons which I tied into bows. "Thank you."

"I've been wanting to start putting them in. I'm not sure I could pull them off as well as you."

I shake my head. "I think you'd look great. Black would suit you well."

"That's what I was thinking! I asked Luca and he said the same thing. Right, Re Gattino?" She grins at her boyfriend.

He narrows his eyes at her. "Ti avevo avvertito, principessa. Non comportarti sorpreso quando mantengo le mie promesse." (I warned you, princess. Don't act surprised when I fulfil my promises)