Chapter 45

Donatella:

It's later that evening, when I'm sat in Darius's passenger seat, the sky grown darker and the inevitable closer, that I begin to harbour a flock of nervous butterflies.

"Are you ready?" He asks me, squeezing my thigh.

I inhale and then exhale. It's going to be okay, right? Surely they won't recognise me. I was only little when they saw me and they haven't since. There's no reason to be terrified beyond belief.

Swallowing, I nod and he smiles, exiting the drivers side and coming around for me. He undoes my seatbelt and offers me his hand. I take it, feeling the comfort of him and it gives me a small boost of confidence.

As we walk to the entrance to the house, I clutch the fabric at the bottom of my skirt. I chose a simple outfit. Ivory crewneck and heeled boots with a light beige a-line, pleated skirt. My bag is Chanel, a chain over my shoulder and gold jewellery completes the look, along with straight hair, waves curling at the bottom and minimal makeup.

If you look good, you feel good, right?

So why am I gripping the life out of my boyfriend's hand?

"You'll be fine." He bends and whispers in my ear. "They'll love you."

The door opens and a maid steps back to allow us inside.

"Darius?" A woman's voice calls and not a few heartbeats later, she comes into view, making her way towards us.

She's beautiful. Long dark hair, the same shade as Dare's and a kind face. Her eyes are inviting and she certainly looks below her years.

She stops in front of us, gaze settled on me.

She pauses for a moment. But then she smiles and without notice, throws her arms around me. "It's wonderful to meet you." I've barely returned her hug when she draws back. "You are even more beautiful than he described."

I smile and she lets go. "We've prepared dinner. Darius told me you like Chinese food?"

"Mhm."

"I hired chefs to make the most perfect meals. Come..."

"Donatella." I manage between minor mental and physical anxieties.

"Donatella." She finishes and my name sounds like honey on her tongue. When I hear it, I feel warm, reminded of how caring she was with me. "Let's go."

She leads us into a dining room set for four. It's sleek and luxurious. The chandelier above glows down onto the table that is decorated with skilful elegance, displaying an array of different Chinese dishes. "I organised it like a buffet." She explains. "I didn't want to have one or two that may not have suited your tastes. Do you like it?" She asks, hopeful.

"It's wonderful." I smile.

She returns it and gestures for me to sit. "I apologise. My husband is running a little late. There was an emergency he had to attend to but he will be here shortly-"

"I'm here." A man strides in. He's tall and handsome. He also looks a lot younger that what I'm sure he's meant to be. Good genes run in the family, I see. He's what I believe Darius will grow to look like. "I'm here." He kisses his wife's head and then faces me. He pauses, too.

I know it's not meant to be an expression of assessment but I can't help but feel those butterflies begin to wake.

"Miles, this is Donatella." Darius's mom introduces me to her husband.

"Donatella." He repeats. He, does not smile. But he doesn't appear displeased per say. "Pleasure to meet you in person. My son practically speaks sonnets of you whenever he opens his mouth-"